Pyramiding problem

kingskettle

5 Year Member
My two sulcatas were born in June 2018, bought from a breeder here in Spain when about 1 month old. They have been kept in high humidity with correct temps. for day and night, have regular exposure to outside sunlight when its warm enough [ I'm in southern Spain} have cuttlebone 24/7 and eat well, dining on fresh grass, sometimes with finely chopped hay added and lots of fresh weeds from the garden. They have regular 30 minute soaks but are still pyramiding. What am I doing wrong ? I know the consensus is not to keep two sulcata together but at the moment these two seem perfectly happy. I have seen no sign of bullying and they eat together and sleep together and appear fine together. The larger of the two weighs 230 gms at 6 months and the smaller one is 185gms at 6 months. The smaller one has always been smaller but eats as well as the other one. Their accommodation is 48 X 22 X 21 inches and is completely covered with a thick sheet of perspex.

DSC02795.JPG DSC02797.JPG DSC02799.JPG DSC02800.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I believe there is a stress component to pyramiding. Separating the two will correct this problem. They are not fine together and don't want to be in each others presence. Eating and sleeping together is a bad sign. Each or one of them is trying to crowd the other out of the territory.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Practically speaking, this can be too much time outside for babies, the wrong heat lamps which dry them out, or from housing them in an open topped enclosure that lets the heat and humidity out. Spot type bulbs or MVBs will dry out the carapace excessively. Too cool of an ambient temp will make them bask under the desiccating lamps more. All of these things can be contributors.

kingskettle

5 Year Member
I believe there is a stress component to pyramiding. Separating the two will correct this problem. They are not fine together and don't want to be in each others presence. Eating and sleeping together is a bad sign. Each or one of them is trying to crowd the other out of the territory.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Practically speaking, this can be too much time outside for babies, the wrong heat lamps which dry them out, or from housing them in an open topped enclosure that lets the heat and humidity out. Spot type bulbs or MVBs will dry out the carapace excessively. Too cool of an ambient temp will make them bask under the desiccating lamps more. All of these things can be contributors.
OK, Thank you Tom. Separation is all arranged.

KatApril

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I have only one sulcata but I do use MVB (and two other spotlights) in my enclosure and i have smooth shell growth. They are 100W+ each so pretty strong. I have to take extra precautions to protect the shell cuticle from drying out. Only time i didnt see drying of the cuticle was at 85%+ humidity in the enclosure, now that my humidity is lower(even if just alittle bit below 85) i have to take extra steps. I also provide a very large burrow for him, humid hide wasnt cutting it as i wanted his shell to be in contact with some sand and coco coir which would replump the cuticle as he slept. I just made a post on the forum about what ive been doing, hopefully i can get some feedback. I wouldnt know anything about stress sorry as all i ever had was one.