New baby Eastern boxies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
pryncesssc said:
I think someone told me once that you cannot really overfeed a baby turtle. The good thing would be to get them different types of worms and bugs for some variety...

http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/ <<<I buy from this lady ALL the time and I love her products and she ships.. I especially love butter worms because you can stick them in the fridge. But the Repti-worms you can get in small size so it would be a good size for a hatchling boxie :) good luck, you will be a great mom :)

Thank you so much! I will check out the website. I'm starting to give them wax worms once a month for some added protein. I try and kill flies and dig up bugs too when I can.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Do they walk around a lot ? Or hide a lot ? Mine hid for the first 3 months I had her and I had to dig her out for soaking and feeding. Now she comes out on her own to eat, drink , and roam around ...

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
pryncesssc said:
Do they walk around a lot ? Or hide a lot ? Mine hid for the first 3 months I had her and I had to dig her out for soaking and feeding. Now she comes out on her own to eat, drink , and roam around ...

They hide a lot. They will poke their heads up to see what's going on if they hear me around the tank. They walk around a lot early morning. I too have to dig them up to feed and soak them. Hopefully they will get used to me really fast. :) thanks for sharing.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
With only my babies eating gut loaded meal worms, wax worms, caterpillars, and an occasional beetle is that a good enough diet for hatchlings? I am afraid they won't get enough vitamin A.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
katelyn0974 said:
With only my babies eating gut loaded meal worms, wax worms, caterpillars, and an occasional beetle is that a good enough diet for hatchlings? I am afraid they won't get enough vitamin A.

Most hatchlings only eat buggie things anyway. I would try some red wigglers, or small earth worms too. After a few months you could offer some fruit...melon or strawberries, sweet potato, and I boil some carrots and chop them up too.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
terryo said:
Most hatchlings only eat buggie things anyway. I would try some red wigglers, or small earth worms too. After a few months you could offer some fruit...melon or strawberries, sweet potato, and I boil some carrots and chop them up too.

Thank you!

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
You can give them small slugs or snails that have been feed mulberry or grape leaves just prior to feeding them to you turtles.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Saloli said:
You can give them small slugs or snails that have been feed mulberry or grape leaves just prior to feeding them to you turtles.

Thank you. I tried to give them snails from my yard, but they crawl away and stay on top of the enclosure most of the time.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Shelly hanging out. :)

Shelly :)

Attachments

• image-266411176.png
    image-266411176.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 32

ShellyGinny29

5 Year Member
USA
Congratulations on your babies! How precious!
My Eastern Box Turtle's name is Shelly and he lives outside :)

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
ShellyGinny29 said:
Congratulations on your babies! How precious!
My Eastern Box Turtle's name is Shelly and he lives outside :)

Awesome name! They live outside but in an aquarium now. When they get bigger I am going to build them an awesome outdoor enclosure.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Hello again. My babies are biting after feeding. They are fed in a different location than their enclosure. When they are finished eating, I pick them up and move them to a water bowl. That is when they are biting. (when I am moving them) I feed them 3 meal worms or 4 small meal worms. Also once a month a wax worm and half of a large earth worm. Any tips on how I can decrease the biting? Thank you!

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Saying good morning! Peek-a-boo baby. :)

Attachments

• image-6925018.png
    image-6925018.png
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 27

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
katelyn0974 said:
Hello everybody! It's an exciting day for me. I just got my two new baby eastern boxies today. This is there new home. I have coco soft for their bedding. Both females. Ones name is Shelly and I have yet to name the other one. The other one is very active! I would love any information on caring for a boxie you feel is important, or even a fun fact. Name suggestions and any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! Have a great day!

They are adorable! Pretty eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.