new baby landing on its back

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have 3 leopard yearlings in an 8' x 8' planted outside enclosure with 10" board surround. The spend their days outside and nights in an indoor humid / warm Rubbermaid enclosure. I've not yet found one on his back outside.

The ground in their outside space is hilly , and so planted and full of little dug out hides sometimes at evening it's a pain to find them ! I did find one baby half way up in the hibiscus shrub with back legs dangling once :).

While the topography is varied. A few things make it hard for them to flip
- The hills and rolls I made gradual so no drop offs
- Their terra cotta water dish is level with the ground. Sometimes I find one just soaking in it :)
- I think because the enclosure is large and varied ( com paired to their size 100 grams or so ... They don't try to climb the walls.

But if I do find one flipped I'll turn him back over immediately and try to figure out how he did it and fix it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As an owner who also lost a little tortoise years ago this way I want to ad that all tip overs aren't the same. A tip over in the cool shade can wait. A tip over in direct sunlight can not. In an enclosure, I would make sure NOT to have any heat lamps in the vicinity of a past flip. I've also noted that babies are much more flip prone.