1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New enclosure for redfoot, best substrate?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by Jschmid33, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Jschmid33

Jschmid33 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Wisconsn
    im sure this topic has been gone over 1000 times but I am building a closed chamber enclosure for my yearling redfoot. What is the best substrate? I am leaning towards coco coir but I have heard it’s extremly messy and sticks to the tortoise. I really enjoy her colors and would be upsetting to have her look like she is in a mud bath constantly. Other options I have heard is orchid bark, top soil or cypress mulch. I want something that looks natural, won’t be a messy disaster if possible and will be able to keep up with the high humidity I am aiming for to keep her happy and healthy. Thank you in advanced.
    Rob99 likes this.
  2. Jschmid33

Jschmid33 New Member

Wisconsn
  3. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    If it is the same one I am using then it looks like the below picture. The smaller blocks are finer and the big block has more fibres in it. I have just used the big block for my enclosure about three days ago. If you put it in and pack it down it does not make too much mess. 1516439742406.jpg
  4. Jschmid33

Jschmid33 New Member

Wisconsn
    That looks great! Nice and natural looking. How big is your enclosure? Trying to figure out how much I need to buy for this enclosure I’m building
    CarolM likes this.
  5. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    Mine is 1.2m x 60cm x 60cm. I used one whole big block - all of it.