New enclosure

Wookie

Location (City and/or State)
Herefordshire
Hi all! I've been on here awhile now but this is the first time posting. We have had our little guy or girl (not too sure on gender yet) just coming up to a year now. From seeking plenty advice from here we realised that the table top we were sold at the pet shop with our little horsefield Wookie was too small. He was happy enough to start with but then became very lethargic, sleeping all the time and not eating ect.. we tried a few different things to start with before we realised what he/she needs is more space. In a 2 bed house this was a bit challenging but we have sacrificed half of a spare bedroom making it completely safe. We put hard sheeting down on the floor to cover the carpet and got a hard wood board to section off the room and then put a deep layer of coco husk down for a substrate. It's still a working progress, need a more permanent hide for him to sleep and some more enrichment in there such as rocks and things to climb but he is so much happier now! He's up and about early, eating super well and basking most of the day. The space is roughly 4ft by 8.5ft. If anyone has any suggestions on improvements that would be muchly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220826_115211.jpg
    20220826_115211.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yay, so nice to see someone get it. The enclosure looks great. Adding the stuff you mentioned and some plants will help him stay happy.
Be sure to add some moisture to the substrate to try and get the humidity 30-50%

Wookie

Herefordshire
Yay, so nice to see someone get it. The enclosure looks great. Adding the stuff you mentioned and some plants will help him stay happy.
Be sure to add some moisture to the substrate to try and get the humidity 30-50%
Thank you! I have planted some seeds in some big pots in there just waiting for them to grow! Will see what other plants I can get, just always very cautious of buying full grown plants incase they have been treated with any nasties! We spray the substrates every over day to help with humidity. Just so glad he's content and active again!