New hawk in town!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The last couple of weeks I've seen a large hawk circling our block and landing in a tree in my back yard. He appears to be feeding on doves drawn in by my wife's bird feeder. The bird feeder STAYS. My concern is that the hawk may turn is attention towards my torts not far away in open topped pens. Can anyone recommend some kind of netting or hawk proofing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a hawk expert, but I'm thinking that a hawk that eats birds, eats birds.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hawks are predators and will eat what's available and easy to catch. Birds, rodents, etc... Small tortoises can be on that list. Better to be safe than sorry. It also depends how big your tortoises are and how big that hawk is.

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
As someone who has done raptor rehab before, a bird that eats birds is usually part of the accipiter or falcon family. And as long as you keep the feeder he's sticking around, unless he is migrating through. I highly doubt it would go after tortoises too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This would make me very nervous too. My husband built a lightweight frame that we stretched chicken wire type fence over for my little ones enclosure. It is on a pulley to lift one end up for access. I suppose it depends on how big your enclosure is what your options might be.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
How much do your torts weigh and do you know what kind of hawk it is? We have a lot of eagles and several different types of hawks and owls, and from what I have heard and read full grown eagles can fairly easily lift off and carry critters in the 2-5 pound range, but anything heavier gets progressively tougher and depends on a lot of factors (like flight speed). I believe the limit is like 1/2-2/3rds of there body weight?
Our neighbors had a Chihuahua for a short time.....

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The last couple of weeks I've seen a large hawk circling our block and landing in a tree in my back yard. He appears to be feeding on doves drawn in by my wife's bird feeder. The bird feeder STAYS. My concern is that the hawk may turn is attention towards my torts not far away in open topped pens. Can anyone recommend some kind of netting or hawk proofing?
I had the same situation when my sulcata was about a year old. Bird feeder in the yard and a couple of Coopers Hawks stopping by to get food to go. Even though I knew that a Coopers was a bird eater I was concerned that he may find my small tortoise too easy to pass on. So I covered his pen with panels of hardware cloth. I think it was 1/4" mesh but it may have been 1/2" mesh. The hawk never did show any interest in the tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks folks. I'll take a trip to Home Depot. If I place a chicken wire roof about seven feet up, would a hawk swoop under the thing or would it stop him? Do they always dive down? Maybe I'm thinking of FALCONS . No, I don't know the hawks type. He's very large. Not a Red Tail for sure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well sucks to be a dove around your house. Hawks carry their prey away right, they usually don't eat them there, so tortoises are awfully hard to carry away in bird claws. I would imagine your tort is quite afe, but if it makes you feel better to screen the area off some, no harm in doing so.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe some pond mesh? They make a plastic mesh that you hang over a pond to keep birds from "fishing." I think a hawk would want to swoop, grab then continue the flight. I don't think they land, grab then take off.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I personally have all of mine protected under wire mesh. At least until they are ~6".

Whether it be hawks, falcons, domestic cats, feral cats, bobcats, dogs, coyotes, raccoons, possums....

You get my point. I've seen supposed nocturnal animals around my home at 10am. So even if I bring them in at night To avoid certain animals getting to them. Id just rather be safe than sorry when dealing with small tortoises.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The hawks in my yard always swoop in. Sometimes they hide in the lower branches of a tree. Or in the bushes. Once I saw one sitting on the tortoise house surveying the yard.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have oodles of hawks of various description and owls here but have never seen any of them show any interest in the torts.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Truer words! If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy!! Anything to foil the bird's path will work. Look into the netting used over fruit trees to keep birds out. It's relatively inexpensive - much less than chicken wire. The downside is you may have to liberate a rather perturbed hawk tangled in the netting...but only once per hawk!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Zero, lets get a pic of your Hawk. Once we have and ID, that will give us a better idea of its eating habits. We have a lot of Cooper's hawks in my area. These are typically a bird eater, but all raptors are opportunistic to some degree. I once had a Coopers land in my outdoor pen and try to figure out how to pick up a 6" sulcata. The tortoise probably weighed three times the hawks weight, but he was trying. I also once found a Cooper's hawk sitting on top of the wire covering of my hatchling sulcatas soaking tub outside. He was trying to figure out how to grab at the tasty morsels crawling around in the water under him.

We have lots of red-tails too, but they have never showed any interest in any of my tortoises. I study them whenever I see them. I'm an apprentice falconer right now and birds of prey have always been a source of fascination for me. Shoulda got my license two decades ago...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
An update: I have begun the task of closing in my largest tortoise pen. I'm making it Hawk proof and cat resistant. (Raccoons are another story.) Pictures to follow. This will be 8' wide and 18' long with a 7' height. My 9" male, Julio and my 6" female Shelly live out there when it is warm. There are three dens. One with heat and two pools.