new house on the way, lets talk outdoor pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperdrake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Hello once again friends!

i will be moving if everything goes right around mid april, the house has a decent yard and i would like to build an outdoor pen for my torts now, i have been reading and some ppl just build modular 8'x8' fences and thats about it, sounds cool and ive seen a couple with landscape lumber and look good the thing is... should i need to dig and bury part of the fence underground? the torts that will be in the backyards are my redfoots and for what i have read they are awesome at escaping but i haven't read that they like to dig a lot and if they dig at all is when the female is making its nest and it a shallow nest.

so should i be worried about burying the fence? or just a large 8'x8' square do?

btw the long tun idea is when i finally have some spare money to fence my property i will just let them all loose in the backyard :p, in the mean time i need where to place them w/o they hiking into every neighbors backyard lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well...I believe that if you have plenty of plants for them to hide in/under....and places that they can muck about then you likely wont have the same concern as let's say a burrowing tortoise...I would let them run about the new enclosure at first when you are going to be around to keep an eye...also when you get done building the perimeter walls you can sink paver stones around the inside around the exterior walls so they can't dig along the walls????? Stick around to see what the others think as well...the more the merrier...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.