New Leopard Tortoise Owner

LaurenZ

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello everyone!
I am the new owner of a 2.5 inch Leopard Tortoise, his name is Tank. This tortoise was given to me by a friend but I have some concerns about his shell. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. His shell has a fair amount of white outlines toward the top and I am concerned that it could be shell rot. I don’t know much about this tortoise. But I do know there was another one which was kept in the same enclosure, which unfortunately did pass away from it. I’m am unsure if they were purchased from a reputable breeder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 8A800342-784D-4499-A2D7-D330280B7E6D.jpeg
    8A800342-784D-4499-A2D7-D330280B7E6D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and weclome,
This is the caresheet you need to make sure you get your torts living conditions and diet etc right
Read that through but ask as many questions as you like.
If you post pics of his enclosure and the lamps you are using you'll get good advice on making it a safe and happy home for your tort.

First of all I thought the white lines could be growth lines but now I've seen the picture I'm wondering if it could be that the heat lamp he had before was too close and has damaged the shell. I may be wrong - I'll tag some people who will have a much better idea @zovick, @Yvonne, @ZenHerper. @Tom

Gotro17

California
Hello everyone!
I am the new owner of a 2.5 inch Leopard Tortoise, his name is Tank. This tortoise was given to me by a friend but I have some concerns about his shell. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. His shell has a fair amount of white outlines toward the top and I am concerned that it could be shell rot. I don’t know much about this tortoise. But I do know there was another one which was kept in the same enclosure, which unfortunately did pass away from it. I’m am unsure if they were purchased from a reputable breeder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hello and welcome! Those white areas are just growth areas... I see nothing wrong with the shell. Definitely follow the care sheet and follow all leopard hatchling threads here. :) Enjoy!!!!

LaurenZ

Florida
Thank you so much for the advice! It seems we need to change things in his enclosure. The care sheet is super informative and exactly what I needed. Will post updates and probably ask more questions soon ?

Gotro17

California
Thank you so much for the advice! It seems we need to change things in his enclosure. The care sheet is super informative and exactly what I needed. Will post updates and probably ask more questions soon ?
That’d be great! many of us have had these beauties for years and STILL come here for our questions. There’s ALWAYS something to learn or improve on! We’re all here for the torts! ❤️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The white you're seeing on the carapace is what gives the species its name - leopard. It's his pattern and totally normal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Now I zoomed in on the photo I can see it is just part of his beautiful unique pattern, as Yvonne said.
So the other leopard couldn't have died from that if he had similar markings but I'm glad you don't have to worry about your tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!
I agree with the other posters. That shell is normal and quite gorgeous.

The other one likely succumbed to long term chronic stress and the effects of it. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. One always loses that struggle eventually.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Follow the care sheets and ask questions. Do not go and buy another leopard thinking Tank needs a friend. The stress of 2 torts being together. Might have contributed to the other torts demize.

StanH

Texas
Hello everyone!
A promising sign that he is going through a growth spurt. I had the same misperception with my leopard four years ago. I recommend getting a gram scale and weighing every 2 weeks or so. If the weight goes up all is OK.

Attachments

• IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Sid 02032019.JPG
    Sid 02032019.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 5