New member and new redfoot. pic heavyish

Status
Not open for further replies.

chpete79

5 Year Member
I am fairly new to the site and would like to start off by saying that I have already learned so much here.

I am including pics of my redfoot named Troopa and his enclosure. The guy I bought him from says he is ~2 month old. I picked him up one week ago.

I am new to posting on any forums so my apologies if my pics don't show up the first time. If there is a better way to do this please let me know.

I do have a few heath concerns and was hoping to show you what i am talking about in the following pics. If anyone has any suggestions

1. He or She has a few missing "scales" on his front legs. The area looks brown.
DSC01742.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

2. White spots on the Carapace. I am assuming fungal, and have been gently brushing with toothbrush daily followed by application of an anti-fungal ointment. When he is freshly cleaned you can't see the spots at all, but when he dries they show back up.
DSC01749.jpg

3. Strangely or perhaps malformed plastron. There are a few areas that concern me near the "belly button" region. The ripples is what I am referring to. I'm just not sure if this is a major problem or not.
DSC01750.jpg

Here is a pic of the habitat I have been working on. I am waiting for my ceramic heater to come in still. And the "fence" is temporary until his garden gets more established.
DSC01751.jpg

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01746.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

Yes he has an aquarium!

He has a very healthy appetite and I am happy to have him. I live in Hawaii so the Hibiscus is plentiful. I look forward to your feedback.
Chris

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Very cute!!

I love the live garden.. i tried that buy got a lot of mold..eww...

Love the fish tank as well...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris:

248599ucu33rahl8.gif

welcome! to the forum!

Your habitat is beautiful! I hope you get those spots on the carapace cleared up.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Hi, and welcome! If the anti-fungal medication doesn't work in a couple of weeks it might be hard water stains under the scutes. I have seen this a lot in aquatic turtles. To me it looks to be fungal. What medication are you using?

The plastron looks normal for a tortoise his size. When they're in the egg, they are slightly folded causing the wrinkles that you see. The yolk sack was there as well at one point. As your little guy ages, it will straighten out and harden.

He is a cute little guy! Congrats!

-Matt
Cute redfoot! I like the purrrrty things in his enclosure ^.^
matt41gb said:
Hi, and welcome! If the anti-fungal medication doesn't work in a couple of weeks it might be hard water stains under the scutes. I have seen this a lot in aquatic turtles. To me it looks to be fungal. What medication are you using?

The plastron looks normal for a tortoise his size. When they're in the egg, they are slightly folded causing the wrinkles that you see. The yolk sack was there as well at one point. As your little guy ages, it will straighten out and harden.

He is a cute little guy! Congrats!

-Matt

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and the info. I am using an athletes foot liquid spray. I spray it in a little cup and apply with a Q-tip.

DoctorCosmonaut said:
Cute redfoot! I like the purrrrty things in his enclosure ^.^

That blue bulb thing is one of those plant watering things for potted plants. Keeps his garden watered pretty nicely.

I liked the idea of my pet having a pet.

Thanks
Chris

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Gretta actually has a pet of her own too, she has a red male betta in her enclosure and she falls asleep in front of it almost every night. So not only does it give her something to watch but it also helps a little with humidity. Ill try to get a pic of her in front of her "pet" so I can post it :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a nice enclosure! It is obvious you put a lot of thought, time and effort into it. :D

Troopa looks like he approves of your decorating ability, such a tiny, adorable little munchkin.

Congratulations and welcome! :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very nice looking Redfoot baby. I love his enclosure and his company as well. :D

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
very nice enclosure. very creative and very well planned out! a great model for others to follow for this particular species.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a great enclosure, and your lil' tort is beautiful. Yes...very creative, and Gretta's mom is right it will also help with the humidity.

chpete79

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for the positive feedback! I actually planned it out on paper (and by paper I mean in paint program) before I owned the tortoise. I used to have a few good size aquariums back when I lived on the mainland, I learned my lesson with just putting stuff in there wherever. I was always going back and re-doing it.

Thanks again to all

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.