New member with a new Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

hair2831

5 Year Member
My son had decided he wanted a tortoise, so he saved his allowance for months to purchase one. I came up with this temporary enclosure made from an old sandbox. I know it's not ideal because the sides aren't high enough and the little guy tries to climb out, even though he can't. We're going to build him a 5x3' tort table pretty soon, but this will have to do for now. Let me know what you think and how I can improve on this setup with the larger table. My light source is a 100w Powersun bulb setup to give a basking area of 95 degrees. I plan to add more hides and some plants to the table when it's built, and possibly a pool. Any advice/criticism is welcome.
habitat.JPG
DSC05938.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome
It looks great, in the new enclosure I would cap the corners, to defeat escape attempts, they are great climbers. I got my first turtle at 8 for a gift and now at 37 I have quite a few.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Hair2831:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

For a temporary habitat, it looks pretty darned good. Just to "busy" it up a bit, you can put in some pots of either plastic or real plants around the middle and away from the sides.

May we know your name and where you are?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I think it's a great temporary enclosure. Make sure you don't have dogs that can get to him, no matter how well trained. What cool parents you are. Welcome!

hair2831

5 Year Member
My name's Tyler and we're from South Carolina. We got the tort from Petsmart and we plan to take it for a vet visit soon, just to be sure it's healthy. He seems ok though. He eats really well in the morning (romaine lettuce so far) and roams around a good bit. I plan to put plants in the new table when we build it. What type of plants can I put in there that the tortoise could actually eat? Or should I stick to just decorative?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If in decorations you mean plastic plants, I would avoid those you can put in quite a variety of plants for both shelter and food. cacti come to mind.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I use some fake and some real plants. They tend to mow things down, and you can reset a fake plant pretty easily. They don't eat them. Usually I try to bank the plants with a brick, or larger rock.
For house plants, you can have spider plants, christmas cactus, aloe vera. You can also put in creeping jenny and sedums.
Here is a helpful web site:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
Leave them in the pots and submerge the pots in the substrate. With your new enclosure, you can make the sides deep enough to allow for the substrate to be deeper in some areas, so you can make some hills, etc. You can add some small logs, or rocks as they like to climb.
Don't worry, Russians like to try to escape anything, especially at first.
That is a great first enclosure!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D

And dang, too bad that enclosure does not have taller sides or a screened lid...if it was capped he could not escape :D:D:D Because the color and material is awesome for the little one....:p

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. that looks nice, you may want to add some plants and obstacles to give your tort a little enrichment

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
hair2831 said:
My name's Tyler and we're from South Carolina. We got the tort from Petsmart and we plan to take it for a vet visit soon, just to be sure it's healthy. He seems ok though. He eats really well in the morning (romaine lettuce so far) and roams around a good bit. I plan to put plants in the new table when we build it. What type of plants can I put in there that the tortoise could actually eat? Or should I stick to just decorative?

Welcome....I love your name! :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You must be very proud of him, that he saved and earned the Russian on his own. I may be seeing things, but it looks like maybe your current substrate (bedding) is sand to me. Is it? If so, that needs to be changed, as straight sand can cause impaction. Other then that, nice starting setup!

I tend to go with plastic plants myself for Russians, since between bulldozing them and eating them, real plants just don't last long. :rolleyes: Could add a nice flat rock and some logs for climbing/breaking up the area.

A pool isn't as well used with a Russian as some others, but a nice roomy water dish (I love the plant water saucers myself) that he can, if he desires, get into for a soak works well.

Mine like to dig, tunnel and bury themselves at times, so a nice deep substrate is nice. I myself am a big fan of the coir (bed-a-beast) with about 20% sand combo.

You have been advised to put caps on the corners so they can't climb out. I would suggest taller sides then you think you need as they will move things around in their enclosures and what happens when they end up using that item to climb out? Maybe with see thru windows on the sides?

hair2831

5 Year Member
The substrate isn't all sand. I used a bag of play sand and 3 bags of coconut fiber mixed together. I may use less sand with the new enclosure and I will look into adding plants and other obstacles. I do plan to build the sides of the new pen 16" high. That way even with a 3-4" deep substrate, there will still be a foot clearance to the top of the walls. Hopefully that will be enough!

Thanks for all the nice replies. I am proud of my son. I didn't think he would be able to save that long, but he did it and is proud of his new pet. I am really enjoying him as well. ;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
hair2831 said:
Thanks for all the nice replies. I am proud of my son. I didn't think he would be able to save that long, but he did it and is proud of his new pet. I am really enjoying him as well. ;)

I just get such a happy thrilled feeling when I read things like this. Children earning what they want and more importantly children and parents working together. With that comes so many positive rewards on both sides...make that all three sides as the tortoise too is reaping great benefits, too.:tort:

hair2831

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I just get such a happy thrilled feeling when I read things like this. Children earning what they want and more importantly children and parents working together. With that comes so many positive rewards on both sides...make that all three sides as the tortoise too is reaping great benefits, too.:tort:

Thanks. We are enjoying this new world of torts, for sure! I made a vet appointment for this Thursday, just to get him/her checked out. Should I go ahead and bring a fecal sample for examination? How does that work? What all should they be checking for to make sure this guy is healthy?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
hair2831 said:
Thanks. We are enjoying this new world of torts, for sure! I made a vet appointment for this Thursday, just to get him/her checked out. Should I go ahead and bring a fecal sample for examination? How does that work? What all should they be checking for to make sure this guy is healthy?

Yes, you will want to take as fresh as possible of a stool sample with you. Often the tortoise will even be "kind" enough to make a fresh one for you during the car ride. :D I am pretty sure they will find worms, as most tortoises have some worms. Having SOME worms is okay and actually good for them, it's the blooms of worms you need to be aware of. Stress often brings them on and no doubt this tortoise has had some stress along the way.

Then the Vet will look him over much like you did, when you bought him. Looks for the clear eyes, no bubbles, no wheezing, looks at the shell and limbs, neck for sores. Might watch him move around. Should weigh him and see if he is looking dehydrated or thin. He will check to be sure the beak isn't too long, which happens a lot on Russians. This will be much like any pet check up.

Status
Not open for further replies.