New on here!! Advice needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna P

5 Year Member
We will b getting 2 baby hermann torts at the end of this month, very excited!! We live in Essex england. The torts will b living in a large under bed storage box ( was told this is ok by the breeder we r getting them from). Any tips or advice would b great thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Donna:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Those under-the-bed storage bins are a nice size for tortoises, but the only thing I've found wrong with them is that when you add a bunch of substrate the sides are too short and the tortoise might be able to climb out.

If the bin has a lid, you can cut out the center of the lid leaving about 4" around the edge, and place it back on the bin. This makes a lip that they can't climb over.

Good luck with your babies. We'd love to see pictures when you get them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi and welcome!! You must be very excited about the new additions coming your way.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, you can browse threw all the old threads about hermans and get very valuable up to date info :)

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! Like Jacob said lots of great info in them old threads.

Donna P

5 Year Member
We are very excited!! Reading as much as I can, to make sure they are happy & healthy for a very long time

Donna P

5 Year Member
They have finally arrived!! We have bella (hermann) tommy (spur thigh). My daughter loves them even my husband is fascinated. We love them already they have completely different personalities !!

image-1984535472.png

Having their 1st bath

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Donna. This is intended to be helpful, not grumpy sounding.

1. Pairs are not usually a good idea. One or the other will always be dominant and in a captive environment the weaker of the two cannot move away, and so will suffer.

2. Mixing species is not a good idea. You risk disease that the other species is not equipped to deal with. There are also behavioral differences to be concerned with. And there is the possible issue of eventual interbreeding which should never happen.

3. Low sided tubs are difficult to maintain your desired conditions in. Taller sides will hold in your heat and humidity much better and allow you to use lower wattage bulbs while still allowing you to maintain the conditions you desire.

You would do well to give each of these lovely tortoises their own enclosure.

Good luck to you.

Donna P

5 Year Member
They both have there own enclosure, thank u for all ur helpful advice though .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well don't I feel silly. Glad you have it all worked out. They both look really look and you should have many years of happiness with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.