new red foot tort mom

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Trying to help break the ice cave you made Kevin. Lol But really what Kevin has said is right . We can only help by telling you what is wrong and how to fix it . The rest is up to you . Please don't get upset with us it's hard to see true feelings in words . We love having new keepers put the work in . Then as soon as you get all the care tips right you'll see how easy it is to keep them . Then before you know it you'll have 20 plus tortoises like me . haha haha

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for all the advice I will consider all the tips to "tweek" my babies habitat, I'll add the top soil, lower the dishes, change out my temp / humidity gauge and look into a uvb lighting alternative.
One thing to buy you some time with lighting . The coil lamp you have you can modify the fixture . Take the hood off it by first unplugging it . Then take the lamp out of fixture. Up inside the hood you can unscrew the ceramic base. This will let you take the hood off . Then mount you light hanging above by any way you can safely. This will allow the uv to be disbursed over a larger area . So it's not pointing straight down burning your tortoise eyes out of their little heads .

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Good morning Tamstorts... were you able to make some changes or do you have any questions?

tamstorts

Indiana
Good morning Tamstorts... were you able to make some changes or do you have any questions?
I added the topsoil, lowered the dishes and figured out a way to diffuse the direct uvb light that I have for the time being now I'm just watching for how their doing! I've got them on a feeding schedule greens everyday, a little veg 2 days & a fruit on Sunday any tips on what they like what to avoid?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I added the topsoil, lowered the dishes and figured out a way to diffuse the direct uvb light that I have for the time being now I'm just watching for how their doing! I've got them on a feeding schedule greens everyday, a little veg 2 days & a fruit on Sunday any tips on what they like what to avoid?

For store bought greens I give mine spring mix (without spinach) mustard or turnip greens and bock choi. I also give them the dandelion from my yard and I grow hibiscus and feed both the new baby leaves and the flowers. From fruit I feed strawberries, grapes, melons, banana, mango.

Do you feed protein? A red foot should be eating protein about once every 10-14 days. I use chicken since we cook it all the time. Just be sure to feed it a piece that doesn't have any seasoning on it.

Avoid carrots, lettuce, spinach and kale

Were you able to get your night time temps up?

tamstorts

Indiana
Changed out the UVB light today! Started using the CHE and changed up my bedding with top soil & mulch to increase humidity! With the extra substrate the dishes sit lower into the habitat and I've added an additional thermo / humidity monitor down lower though I couldn't find a digital one that I liked. Hoping these few changes make a difference. I do notice on Sonny (the cherry head) that his eyes have been closed most of last night & today. He didn't eat today and I'm hoping this is just from the humidity getting lower than I'd like yesterday plus the UVB situation. I've read if these things are corrrcted the eyes will correct themselves pretty quickly?? (Yes I introduced protein today, I'd already planned to do it every other Sunday and today was that first option, today was canned tortoise food, Scarlett loved it!)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Much better but you still have a problem. I hope I'm just jumping the gun but pics will tell us.

Post some close up pics of his eyes. From the sound of it He's starting to show the first signs of a RI, most likely from the night time temps being too low not the light. I'm willing to bet that his eyes aren't closed, they're swollen shut.

Now that you have the Che that will help. Normally I'd tell you not to let it get below 80 day or night but since your cherry is starting to show the first signs of sickness I'd recommend you bump the temp to no lower than 84-85 degrees. A reptile thermostat will make sure your temps are always consistent.

I'd also start doing a baby food soak with him everyday. Mix his soak water 50/50 with baby food. Pick one like sweet potatoes... something high in vitamin A. Soak for 20-30 mins a day but keep it under a heat lamp so the water mix doesn't get cold.

You've got a great head start on making him better because you've already fixed your set up. Most of the time new people with temps too low don't come on here posting until the torts eyes are swollen **** and not eating for several days. By then it's usually 50/50 on if it can be saved or not.

tamstorts

Indiana
Thanks, I soaked him additional last night and again today so I'll try the "baby soak" tomorrow and Thursday just curious your thoughts on why Scarlett seems to be doing so well while Sonny seems to need a little extra attention at the moment? If it is RI what other signs should I look for? What else could / should I be doing for him?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks, I soaked him additional last night and again today so I'll try the "baby soak" tomorrow and Thursday just curious your thoughts on why Scarlett seems to be doing so well while Sonny seems to need a little extra attention at the moment? If it is RI what other signs should I look for? What else could / should I be doing for him?
Some animals are more susceptible than others to getting ill. But a full blown respiratory infection is contagious.
Is there any nose or eye discharge?

tamstorts

Indiana
no he's not breathing hard, no runny nose or goopy eye just has them closed and is staying in the hide a lot. I am going to do the baby food bath this afternoon after work.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you soaked before? Something small but with high sides works best because most tortoises get restless and try to escape after just a minute or two.

Bee62

Germany
Sorry for "breaking in" here, but I have a big problem: On the pictures of @tamstorts I only see one redfoot tortoise ! The other tortoise is a sulcata tortoise to my opinion !
Please correct me if I see something that is not there .... !

tamstorts

Indiana
yes I soak them regularly, every other day for 15 minutes minimum. I have been soaked Sonny on the in between day as well. He / she never seems to try and escape...now Scarlett I have to keep putting back in the water lol! Bee62 no so far as I know I have one red foot and one cherry headed red foot (who has a lightly colored shell but red feet!)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post pictures of the tortoises ? The one in the picture looks like a yellow footed tortoise. If you have two tortoises in the same setup that could be the problem. They will bully each other. That could be why the smaller on isn't eating and hides .

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You've got 1 normal red and 1 cherry... no sullys in there

Runny nose and bubbles are latter symptoms of a more advanced infection. Eyes and not eating are the very beginning stages and like you said, only been since the other night.

The thing with these baby torts is that they appear to be fine then bang, next day eyes are swollen and not eating so just because the one appears fine doesn't mean it's not next.

It's also like Ed said, some are just more hearty. Just like my kids... one boy seems to get every dang cold that goes around school and the other other catches A few here and there.

tamstorts

Indiana
Update: changed the UVB bulb,came up with a better substrate plan and started using the CHE all yesterday today I soaked Sonny in an organic baby food sweet potatoes bath (pretty sure I saw him drinking a little) and I am happy to report he was soon doing laps around his enclosure with both eyes open! Just incase it was the onset of RI & not UVB exposure I drizzled a little of the greens Scarlett was having for dinner with the water / sweet potatoes mixture just to give her a vitamin / immune booster! Hoping all is getting better! (Day temp 83 humidity 75% night temp 78 humidity 70%) ❤️

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Awesome news! That's great to hear. I'd keep doing the baby food soaks for now.

tamstorts

Indiana
Hey there guys! Continued to soak Sonny in the baby food bath for 3 days and he / she has improved greatly! Eating everyday and everything I put out. Is out of the hide 3-4 times a day for an hour or more at a time! Scarlett never showed signs of illness, she continues to eat well and they are in the hide at night side by side! They roam freely and appear to have no aggression towards each other at all. I think (I hope) I have a nice working home for these two and that they are now settled in nicely! Thanks for all your help and suggestions I was able to implement a couple of the changes and tweek some of my existing ideas so sorry I took the advice wrong at the onset!