New Redfoot Enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Newberry, Florida
Hi! Brand new tortoise keeper here! So I’m trying to get everything set before my Redfoot arrives this week, and this is the current state of the enclosure I’ve built. Since I’ve never owned a tortoise before, any recommendations are welcome! The house is 2x3 feet and the entire enclosure is 4x8 feet. There is a lid made of hardware cloth, but it’s not pictured. I’m expecting a subadult male that is approximately 7 inches or so.

I realized after taking the photo that the tunnel seemed a bit high, so I leveled that off. I insulated the tortoise house, put two heat panels, a hygrometer/thermometer, and a thermostat controller for the mats. There’s also a little door with a safety latch for colder weather/nights.

The substrate is composed of organic top soil, cypress mulch, and some sphagnum moss. Is there anything else in terms of the enclosure that I should be doing? I live in Florida, so our winters aren’t too cold, and I can maintain the house at 75 degrees overnight. Also, all of the plants are considered safe according to the tortoise table.

I appreciate any and all feedback! ?

Attachments

• 0964B76A-3B5A-42D0-8B0A-CE673A598974.jpeg
    0964B76A-3B5A-42D0-8B0A-CE673A598974.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 38
  • E32B05E8-1F2D-4A48-9B6C-DDCD8802A02E.jpeg
    E32B05E8-1F2D-4A48-9B6C-DDCD8802A02E.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 37
  • AE53F482-6FC4-49E8-8874-0A1BF0E585F3.jpeg
    AE53F482-6FC4-49E8-8874-0A1BF0E585F3.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 33
  • 8EB20F9F-8784-4FFA-9E17-63CA3268DA8E.jpeg
    8EB20F9F-8784-4FFA-9E17-63CA3268DA8E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi! Brand new tortoise keeper here! So I’m trying to get everything set before my Redfoot arrives this week, and this is the current state of the enclosure I’ve built. Since I’ve never owned a tortoise before, any recommendations are welcome! The house is 2x3 feet and the entire enclosure is 4x8 feet. There is a lid made of hardware cloth, but it’s not pictured. I’m expecting a subadult male that is approximately 7 inches or so.

I realized after taking the photo that the tunnel seemed a bit high, so I leveled that off. I insulated the tortoise house, put two heat panels, a hygrometer/thermometer, and a thermostat controller for the mats. There’s also a little door with a safety latch for colder weather/nights.

The substrate is composed of organic top soil, cypress mulch, and some sphagnum moss. Is there anything else in terms of the enclosure that I should be doing? I live in Florida, so our winters aren’t too cold, and I can maintain the house at 75 degrees overnight. Also, all of the plants are considered safe according to the tortoise table.

I appreciate any and all feedback! ?
Looks pretty nice! The only thing I would suggest is something bigger for water. Something big enough for the tort to get in and soak itself. Redfoots love water. I use an upside down trash can lid for mine.

Newberry, Florida
Looks pretty nice! The only thing I would suggest is something bigger for water. Something big enough for the tort to get in and soak itself. Redfoots love water. I use an upside down trash can lid for mine.
Will do! I’m picking up a terracotta saucer this weekend and I’m hoping that will work, too. ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Will do! I’m picking up a terracotta saucer this weekend and I’m hoping that will work, too. ?
It will.
Get two so that you can rotate them. Clean/Dirty
You'll be happy you spent the extra $3 later on
I live south of you. Make sure you don't place your enclosure in full sunlight. My enclosure is butted up to the south wall of my house to avoid the brightest sunlight.

Newberry, Florida
It will.
Get two so that you can rotate them. Clean/Dirty
You'll be happy you spent the extra $3 later on
I live south of you. Make sure you don't place your enclosure in full sunlight. My enclosure is butted up to the south wall of my house to avoid the brightest sunlight.

That’s a really good idea! I’ll definitely pick up two!

This spot gets, I think, a good gradient of sunlight. The shadow from my house prevents it from getting nailed with direct sunlight in summer the entire day, especially since Gainesville gets close to the triple digits pretty frequently.

Relic

Here
A small piece (2' X 4') of plywood that you could slide along the top would provide "moveable" shade, if needed...