Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its official. I am now a Sulcata BREEDER. Got my first pip just a few hours ago. This is my very first hatchling ever. I raised the father, Scooter, from a newborn hatchling in July of '98. I got the mother, Deloris, from a friend when she was 2 or 3, eight years ago. I've been waiting 12 years for this. The eggs were laid on Jan. 30th and I posted pics on that night. So, I'm at day 105 right now. Enough typing, here's a pic:
2e6eoa8.jpg

This egg looks like it has started to try to hatch, but the baby hasn't breeched the leathery inside yet. I noticed the shell cracking 2 days ago, but still no penetration into the outside world yet. Should I just leave it alone? I've been keeping turtles and tortoises for 30 years. I've raised dozens of hatchlings of all sorts of species, but I've never hatched my own. Until now.
283slw.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Looking good Tom :)

Yes you can help the second egg by making a small "window" in the white membrane (right where the dimple is).

Danny

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Aww! Congrats Tom, looking forward to seeing pics of your hatchlings!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
egyptiandan said:
Looking good Tom :)

Yes you can help the second egg by making a small "window" in the white membrane (right where the dimple is).

Danny

Thanks Danny. I will.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Congratulations Pops! Keep us posted with their progress and LOTS of photos!

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Aww, so cute! Congrats, I know you must be very excited. Can't wait to see more. :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's so exciting! I have been in the same boat with you, as I have had my Sulcatas for a long time and their first clutch just began hatching April 27th and as of two days ago, all of them have hatched and this is my first too. They are soooo cute! My husband laughs because he knows we are going to end up keeping all of them since I am so picky who I would give them to and so protective. It's so neat to watch your baby turn to an adult and then they have their own hatchlings!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TortieLuver said:
That's so exciting! I have been in the same boat with you, as I have had my Sulcatas for a long time and their first clutch just began hatching April 27th and as of two days ago, all of them have hatched and this is my first too. They are soooo cute! My husband laughs because he knows we are going to end up keeping all of them since I am so picky who I would give them to and so protective. It's so neat to watch your baby turn to an adult and then they have their own hatchlings!

What?! Did I miss all the pics and announcement posts? My time on the forum is pretty sporadic, but I'm pretty sure I would have caught that one. Was it a secret or did I just miss it in one of my absences? I want to see pics and know all about it.

My first one is just sitting there in his egg. Doesn't he know I've been waiting 12 years for him and he should hurry up? Well, once he's out we'll have a few decades to hang out together, so I guess I should just be patient.

mrblue2008

5 Year Member
[/align][align=left]

this is fantastic news! well done & very good luck with the bringing up your new torts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
E-w-w-w! The dreaded sulcata breeder!! :p

That's great news, Tom. Its always a thrill to see those tortoise eggs hatch.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
Its official. I am now a Sulcata BREEDER.

Congrats! Watch out for the mob with pitchforks out in front of your house, though! Fire hoses and paintball guns work pretty well at getting them away. I'm a non-Union concrete estimator, I've dealt with this before ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
AWESOME TOM!!! I am so excited for you!!!

(patiently waiting my turn to become a breeder myself ;) )

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How exciting!! Congrats :)
I hope to breed in the very distant future ;)

Can't wait to see more pics of the little hatchling!

Status
Not open for further replies.