New Sulcata Enclosure

austinbrehun

I built a new enclosure for my 4" sulcata tortoise. It is 40x40x35. I put him in the enclosure yesterday after a nice bath and he patrolled around for about 5 hours eating all the plants I had set in the tank. He seems to really enjoy it so far.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457719012.326047.jpg

The box is filled with moist coco coir and has a little water dish for drinking and little plants for scavenging at. There is an eating tray I clean for every meal and a humid hide under his hill. Durig the day, the humidity low is about 50% while the humid hide is at about 85%. Under the heated side, the temp is around 90, while the cool side is around 80.

I plan on added a small fan 4" in diameter at the top, a heater for the night time, and a piece of glass covering half the front to keep a little more heat in. Im still working on the enclosure as I just finished yesterday but Im hoping it holds for a few years.

Any tips are appreciated, just dont completely hate it as I am stil a beginner at this.

Also I am very aware at the bad shell shape of this little guy. I actually bought him recently under these conditions and hoping they increase with the better humid hide and diet.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457719523.847961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457719452.180159.jpg

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I would say try to cover the whole thing in order to bring your humidity up to about 80 % , that will also help keep the heat up . I also think that little guy would benefit from some daily soaking in warm water . :)

betak

5 Year Member
Cute tortoise.. How old is your tortoise do u know?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Very good start. He is super cute. I agree more cover will greatly increase humidity and hold temps. With a humid environment, it is very important to keep your temps above 80F. I love the hill and hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No hating here.

I think in time you will wish you had gone bigger, closed it in more, and used plywood instead of OSB.

KelseyBrood

5 Year Member
I love your humid hide! I might have to steal that idea! I do agree with Tom, your going to want to go bigger in the near future. You could easily find an old large dresser or buffet at the second hand store, gut it and accommodate away!! At the least, I would get some plexiglass and hinges and put a door on that sucker. You'll save yourself a who lot of headache when it comes to humidity and temp control. Heres a pic of my version of Tom's "closed Chambers" It wasn't super hard to make if you have a general knowledge of tools.

20160314_210946.jpg