new sulcata owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
africansucata, Tuffy looks like a sweety. The tote looks good. What type of substrate do you have him on? It looks like pellets.
Try just hay or even shredded aspen. Or Dirt. Even Sullys need humidity. and Rabbit pellets can be very drying.
Check out this thread for more info on diet and humidity.
http://tortoiseforum.org/sulcata-essentials-t-3066-2.html

Congratulations and keep up the good work. Oh and welcome to the forum.

africansucata

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
africansucata, Tuffy looks like a sweety. The tote looks good. What type of substrate do you have him on? It looks like pellets.
Try just hay or even shredded aspen. Or Dirt. Even Sullys need humidity. and Rabbit pellets can be very drying.
Check out this thread for more info on diet and humidity.
http://tortoiseforum.org/sulcata-essentials-t-3066-2.html

Congratulations and keep up the good work. Oh and welcome to the forum.

I have a mixture of substrates - I originally had him just on pellets in his previous home. Once I found this website and decided to build him a new place - I used dirt, some pellets and timothy hay. He really seems to like it. The dirt definitely gives him more of a place to dig (and to make a mess with)!

Thanks for the website info - I will definitely check it out. He is a sweety by the way and I really want to give him a good place to live.

By the way, I had mentioned earlier that he has not ate dandelions before - he usually showed no interest - however, the other day I put one on his plate and he gobbled it right up - along with his first strawberry!

JimKoz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
mwindman

When did you discover your tortoise? I wonder if he is related to one of mine who escaped in late March. My smallest one was living in box in the courtyard soaking up the Southern sun. He may have gotten out of the box and when we came home we found the courtyard gate open and little torti gone. We live in North Phoenix, I wonder if our torti is your torti.

Take a look at these photos - I have more.

Thank you,

mwindman said:
I am a new owner of a sulcata; I live in Arizona in the desert and came home and found this torti trying to get water from my rabbit and bird dishes and was real hot to the touch. I have had him about a week and found out he is two years old; Can someone tell me what size of outdoor enclosure I should build and how to keep snakes and other things out of the enclosure; What plants I should plant in the enclosure. I have him inside with the UVB light and calcium supplement.

Attachments

• little01.jpg
    little01.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 14
  • little02.jpg
    little02.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 15
  • little03.jpg
    little03.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 13
  • little04.jpg
    little04.jpg