New Thread - How do tortoises communicate with each other?

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi
I thought that I would ask the question. As I have read so many posts on here where two tortoises are kept together and one is not doing well. The typical response is but I watch them and they are doing fine. I cannot see them fighting or one bullying the other. Everytime I read this I think to myself ... yes body language is one form of language, however I know that there are animals in the world who communicate silently (as in their communication method is not in the sound range we can hear) I also know that torts do squeal and grunt, as I have heard a male tort with a female tort, obviously this is for mating. But my question is this ...Can tortoises be talking to each other in a sound range we cannot hear and thereby be bullying the other one without us being able to see it?

Destben

Kansas
I know some make a clicking noise with there beaks but I don’t think it’s a communication thing. I think it’s mostly body language that the use. Maybe hissing in some species.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I know some make a clicking noise with there beaks but I don’t think it’s a communication thing. I think it’s mostly body language that the use. Maybe hissing in some species.
Has anybody ever done one of those sound tests to measure if they make any sounds in a range that we cannot hear? I don't know the correct terminology for that test.

Destben

Kansas
Has anybody ever done one of those sound tests to measure if they make any sounds in a range that we cannot hear? I don't know the correct terminology for that test.

It would be cool if like elephants they make noises at pitches we can’t hear.