New to the forum

Irierob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
hello everyone, I am glad I came across this forum!! We own a red foot tortoise and my daughter named her Elsa. I believe she's a female, but u will investigate more. We live in central Florida. Anyone else in this area? I joined the forum because I am loving our tortoise more and more everyday. I can sit there and watch her and see what she does lol. So I want to know more about the tortoise and share and receive information that would be useful for Elsa so she can live longer and we can all enjoy each other's company. I look forward to building her an outside enclosure soon, so that is another reason why I am on here. Look forward to speaking with people and seeing other pictures as well :) thank you!!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: If you can post pictures of your tortoise we might be able to determine the gender if it is old enough.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! *waves* We have many members from Florida and a lot of them also have redfoots. You will fit right in. I have been known to lose hours watching my critters.;)

Irierob

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hi! *waves* We have many members from Florida and a lot of them also have redfoots. You will fit right in. I have been known to lose hours watching my critters.;)
Haha...I feel you! I'm sure when I build the enclosure I will be out there also . Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Haha...I feel you! I'm sure when I build the enclosure I will be out there also . Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Many folks when creating their tortoise enclosures, fail to think of the human part of it. I make sure I include a place to sit and watch them in comfort. So keep that in mind.

Should we also warn you, that tortoises are like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one?

Irierob

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: If you can post pictures of your tortoise we might be able to determine the gender if it is old enough.
My only concern is the shell. I hope it's ok. The tortoise was recently giving to us. It was not kept in a good habitat. I hope that there is nothing wrong and she will be ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 16

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
It definitely looks like this tortoise was raised too dry. I would start doing daily soaks in 85-95 degree water for 20-30 minutes. What is your enclosure like?

Irierob

5 Year Member
Central Florida
It definitely looks like this tortoise was raised too dry. I would start doing daily soaks in 85-95 degree water for 20-30 minutes. What is your enclosure like?
At the moment I have a 28 gallon tank with the plans of building the new outside enclosure. Current temp is about 80 degrees and humidity at around 60%.

image.jpg image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd like to give you a couple of friendly suggestions:

The light is too high. Also, the wire effectively screens out the beneficial UVB rays. The thermometers need to be on the floor, where you really want to know the temperature. A clay saucer is easier for the tortoise to climb in and out of. Moisten the substrate and strive for a high humidity in the habitat.

Many years ago when I got my first tropical fish aquarium my husband made me a little wooden stool and painted an eye on the seat of it. He called it my eye stool because I would sit there for hours giving those poor fish the eye. I have now substituted the fish with tortoises.

Irierob

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'd like to give you a couple of friendly suggestions:

The light is too high. Also, the wire effectively screens out the beneficial UVB rays. The thermometers need to be on the floor, where you really want to know the temperature. A clay saucer is easier for the tortoise to climb in and out of. Moisten the substrate and strive for a high humidity in the habitat.

Many years ago when I got my first tropical fish aquarium my husband made me a little wooden stool and painted an eye on the seat of it. He called it my eye stool because I would sit there for hours giving those poor fish the eye. I have now substituted the fish with tortoises.
Thank you so much Yvonne!! I will fix that asap!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh puhleeeeeze! Do Not compare us to Facebook. :)

Jex

NW Florida
Hi. Thank you for the welcome. We live in the Florida Panhandle and have a Sulcata that is approx. 13 years old. We acquired him about 5 months ago from a family member, so I am still trying to learn how to do the best job taking care of him.