New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brynja

5 Year Member
Hello all -

We are new to the forum but have had our small leopard tortoise for over a year now. We live near Toronto Ontario and are enjoying a hot past few weeks. Our tortoise's name is Bitzy Brynja (Brun-ya - Danish for armor).

Bitzy is a bit of a princess and we refer to her as easily offended (for example if we give her grasses or dandelion leaves - she likes her red leaf lettuce). We have been trying to get her to graze outside more, but as I said she is a princess. We are trying to introduce her to more fiberous materials so any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tanya and Allan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tanya and Allan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I know leopard tortoises are supposed to graze on grasses, but I have found that mine really do prefer the more broad-leafed plants in the grass. Try offering the little princess some clover or dichondra. If she won't graze, then you may have to either try tough love, or chop up the un-wanted greens and mix them in with the red-leaf lettuce.

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Welcome to TFO! :D that is the most awesomely unique name I've heard so far! :) are there any pictures of your little princess?

Brynja

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! We have tried putting the grasses and dandelions on the red leaf (not chopped up though) and she will pick her way through it until she gets to the red leaf. We have also put just dandelion and grasses out for her she will go and explore it, not eat anything and just go to her tunnel and refuse to come out again until she has the leafy lettuce (this is where we talk about her being easily offended)!!

I will put a picture of her up as soon as I figure out how to do that!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can see who is the boss in your family. :D Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.