New to the Wonderful World of Torts- PIC HEAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleyNlove

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone! I am Laura Leigh in Texas (DFW area) and brand new to the wonderful world of torts. I've fallen madly in love with Sulcatas and after some research regarding their size and needs I decided to find a baby to call mine. I fully understand this will likely be a multi generational pet, and plan to begin a trust fund in the next few years to ensure he always receives the proper care. Crazy to anyone without the fever, I know- but other keepers surely understand. Please forgive the length of my post… I’m just so excited!

After receiving all of the usual (AWFUL) advice (such as, alfalfa pellets, romaine and apples, CFB, keep dry etc) from the pet store I (poorly) chose, I am so happy to find a place with reliable information. Just looking at the BEAUTIFUL, smooth, mature torts on here gives me great hope. I was literally having nightmares about all of the deformed, sick tort's I'd seen in my research and felt totally helpless to stop it from happening to my baby. He is showing some signs of pyramiding but I have faith that through the proper humidity, heat, and hydration we can stop it and help him grow smoothly.

I’ve continued daily soaks, and wet his table several times a day. Temps are 95-100 on the hot side, 70-80 on the cooler side. He’s being kept on 80/20 sterile topsoil/play sand, but I plan on purchasing some sphagnum and coir and adding this to the mix as well. He has a varied diet, generally grazing a few hours each day, and also gets hibiscus leaves and flowers, roses, mulberry leaves, dandelion, and various weeds in the yard which hasn’t been treated with anything in years. The only thing he won’t eat is what he needs most- dried grass! But, we’ll just keep giving it to him; hopefully he’ll get it someday.

I have MANY questions (like all of us newbies) but will just post a few now. I’ve done my best to read other threads, but feel free to direct me to any that might be relevant. Any advice you may be able to share would be greatly appreciated!

Little Foot was “4-6” months according to the store when we got him in December, making him about 10 months old now. Would he be considered a hatchling or juvenile?

Would Carolina Pet Supply be the best place online for seed, coir, and sphagnum? Any other recommendations?

He moved into his new table during the last week, and has started spending warmer nights outside. I think I’m being too human with this one, as it doesn’t get below 70-75F and he seems more active and happier than ever each morning. Is he too young for this at 10 months old?

He is currently housed in a table my (awesome metal worker) bf and I put together (pictured below). The box is 2 ft wide, about 3 ft long, and about 16-20” high. I realize of course he’ll outgrow it soon enough but is this a good size for a tort his age (he is about 4-5 inches long currently)?

Can anyone please recommend ways to keep the box we have now more humid? I was thinking a plastic drop cloth over half, with little flaps to keep one side a bit more sealed off and under the lid to keep it in place.

Would some other Texans share what they plant/grow for their torts? I have had a great time learning about the huge variety of things Little Foot can eat from the different lists I’ve found here. I’m planning to seed his box with the grazing mixture from Carolina, with some arugula and dandelion as well. I’ll also grow more grass in seed trays to switch out as needed.

Thanks everyone for your dedication and help. It is so comforting to finally find people who know how to give these amazing creatures the best life possible. The proof is in your healthy adults. I look forward to becoming an active member, and again truly appreciate your advice!

Here's the man we affectionaly call Ogre, who put together this beautiful table. I just helped with the wood working part!

You can almost see the wheels that will let us (read: HIM) move the table around as needed-

Fancy handles-

The first day, still working on the best spots for everything and need to get some seed going-

Here you can see how the lid comes off and doubles as a grazing enclosure. We usually keep the sides weighted down with bricks to ensure no successful escape attempts!

This is the little burrow we made with a tupperware dish which we'll add the sphagnum to once it comes in-

Finally, the star of the show- our baby dinosaur- LITTLE FOOT (or Moses, or Nibbles, or King Diamond... we don't know!)

The King surveys his castle-

Hope y'all enjoyed! I'm sure I will be a picture posting fiend. Thanks again!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. We are excited you found us. The higher humidity should have temps no lower then 80-85, so i would bump up you cool end. Read the threads at the bottom of my post if you haven't already. All are good for Sulcata's. Until your tort is a year old you should keep the humidity at 80% or higher with temps no lower then 80. The enclosure looks great. If after you read the threads below you still have questions, fire away.

One more thing. Most of us do cover 1/2 to 3/4 of our enclosures to help with humidity and some of us also use a humidifier.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) Carolina Pet Supply has some great seed mix my torts for it

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum :)
Congrats looks good, humidity is the key to raising a smooth baby :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura Leigh:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

My son lives in Forney...you're practically neighbors :p

What a beauty of a table! I'm sure the little prince will be very happy in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Your enthusiasm for giving the best care to your tortoise is fantastic.

On to your questions:
1. Don't worry about him eating grass hay at this point. That's more of an adult thing. Most of them won't start eating dry hay until they are around a foot long or so. You can always cut or blender up some orchard or bermuda hay and sprinkle it on his food, but fresh grass will do just fine too.
2. I also think 70 is too cool for a young one with humidity.
3. I call them a hatchling for the first 2 or 3 months, a baby up until 12 months, a yearling for months 12-24, and then a juvenile until adulthood. Just my way of classifying age groups. Its not "official" or anything. So yours will be a baby for a couple more months and then a yearling for the 12 months after that.
4. There are lots of good places to buy seeds. Carolina is one of them. My buddy Tyler over at Tortoisesupply.com has some good mixes too. I have recently bought some horse pasture mixes from Peaceful Valley Farms.
5. I don't like to leave mine outside over night until they are around 10-12". I think 70 is a bit cool at night, especially outside, for a baby. It won't kill them. They can tolerate it much colder than that. The question, for me anyway, is: What is BEST for them?
6. I think your indoor enclosure is on the small side, BUT I tend to go big. My hatchlings are in a 4x4' with a divider in the middle that will be removed, to make it a 4x8', in another few months. Also, if he's spending most days in a large outdoor enclosure, your current one is fine for indoors over night or on the occasional bad weather day.
7. The only way to keep humidity up in an open topped box is to cover the top or humidify the whole room. Sorry. Its just physics.
8. I think your feeding plans with the trays and home grown stuff sounds great. I'm not a Texan, but since I have family there, I'll still tell you what I grow for mine. Mulberry trees. Rose of sharon and hibiscus. Roses. Gazania. LOTS of spineless opuntia cactus. Several pasture seed mixes. Alfalfa. Pansies. Clover. Several leafy greens including collards, mustard, arugula, mesclun, parsley, cilantro, endive, carrot tops, several squash family members (mainly for the leaves and blooms, not so much the fruit). Grape vines (for the leaves, NOT the grapes). Plus I cultivate plantain weeds, mallow, filaree, hawksbit, sow thistle, dandelion and a few other weeds too.

I hope you, Ogre and LittleFoot have a great time here.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! I love the enclosure you built for him... even more because you both worked on it together. :cool: Glad your here with us!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I am also in the DFW Area (Garland) and have a 12 year old Sulcata called WalkingRock.

Sulcatas ROCK!

TurtleyNlove

5 Year Member
Posted by tortadise
Posted by coreyc
Posted by Jacob
Posted by dmarcus
Posted by ALDABRAMAN
Posted by Jacqui
Posted by TORTOISEMAN1

Thanks everyone! I’ve read many of your posts and really enjoy them, and the pics of your torts! Ogre say’s hello and thank you too!
Posted by emysemys
Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!
My son lives in Forney...you're practically neighbors
What a beauty of a table! I'm sure the little prince will be very happy in there.

Thanks! Anyone is a neighbor in Texas if your less than 100 miles away! Distance is relative here haha!

Posted by Tom
Hello and welcome. Your enthusiasm for giving the best care to your tortoise is fantastic.
…
I hope you, Ogre and LittleFoot have a great time here.
Thanks so much Tom for your long response, and all the great info! He’ll definitely keep coming inside at night. Ogre has a plan to cover the box and rig up misters on timers to keep things misted while we’re away at work.
Posted by Zamric
Welcome to the Forum!
I am also in the DFW Area (Garland) and have a 12 year old Sulcata called WalkingRock.
Sulcatas ROCK!
Thanks Zamric! I noticed that when going through the Sulcata threads. WalkingRock is the coolest name, and he looks gorgeous!

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.