New to Tortoise forum, coming to you from Venice Beach Venice California

SheldonRocks

5 Year Member
I have a 15 month old sulcata he grew up in an aquarium for the first year, but had daily sun baths. I live in a large top floor confo with four secured outdoor decks, one of which I just coverted to his new habitat. 1384658538364.jpg

That's his first home that was taken 12-12-12

1384658720604.jpg
Those five guys are part of his extended family

1384658791709.jpg

Sheldon's new home. Taken 11-12-13 its still a work in progress. I can explain the various substrates and lamps if anyone has questions. What you can't see in the back corner is one of his two hide houses, one has a 24 hour humidifier feeding directly into the box, sits on living moss. The other is a dry or arid hot box on desert cactus organic soil.

All together it measures 8 x 8 feet. The pathways in the back are on a gradual slope upwards and the rear corner is perched high up, Sheldon can look down from there and see his habitat view. The obstacles are mimicking natural obstacles in the wild which include, objects that provide shade, areas of loose substrate to promote burrowing, wet and dry substrates, edible plants and cacti, grass, moss, dense soil, several hide boxes and that white pipe in the back is a slide and yes he seriously enjoys sliding down it and climbing back up.
His old den now grows edible grass, dandelions and cacti.

Work in progress, would love to hear any ideas, thoughts, changes or if you have any questions, please post. Thank you, Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Welcome, we look forward to watching Sheldon's story unfold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's a fantastic enclosure for a youngin.

Does it ever get direct sun?
Where is the water bowl?
What is the ambient temp in there down by the beach?

SheldonRocks

5 Year Member
Yes gets direct sun till around noon, average temp here is high 70s water bowl is hard to see, it sits on the river rocks so the he doesn't drag dirt in. Also i feed him later in the day, that way he's active all day running around scavenging for food. As well he has to work for his food by walking through the pathways and over the rocks. I run a warm mist humidifier in one box, another one is hot dry, he tends to enjoy the cooler humid box at night and the hot dry one after he eats. Tortoises enjoy knocking things down and climbing over them, the white picket fence is for that, he has to knock it down, climb over it, then around the hay, being the big plant and over a mound to get to the fresh grass yard. He will tend to do this as many times as I reapply the fence. Second its up he charges for it.

Another thing I noticed regardless of the Uvb lamps, if the super bright halogens above, not pictured, are not on, he's far less active. I tested this in the home with dim and bright lights, in dim environments he's less willing to run around, even though they have a massive number of rods in their eyes, brightness is a factor for activity. When I noticed a bit of pyramiding, I increased his activity level which immediately smoothed out his shell I know there's lots of controversy regarding what causes pyramiding, but if you've ever raised an animal with horns, it has nothing to do with hydration or diet but rather digestion. I believe it has something to do with glycine levels. Spraying or wetting a keratinous object does nothing to it. You can soak your finger nails all you want but it's your cuticles that predict how they'll look and your nutrient digestion will form their shape. Anyhow I ran off topic and started answering a question that someone pmed me. Sorry I'll get the hang of this soon

Thank you :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sam:

Welcome to the Forum!

SheldonRocks

5 Year Member
1384744540635.jpg

In back is the wet hot house

Attachments

• 1384744599507.jpg
    1384744599507.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sheldon is a lucky Tort, what a cool looking home , I wish I lived in a warmer climate so I could keep my Russian (Fred) outside all year, I just got him , and cant wait till summer so I can make something like you have for him to enjoy...so many People here have created great homes and it only inspires me to try to do the same for my tort <3

SheldonRocks

5 Year Member
It's quite enjoyable. I got lucky, I have a ten foot by ten foot balcony deck in middle of my living room that's never used and its covered, but the big opening gets hours of cali sunlight every morning. This little rascal has been running around this thing all week. My neighbour's call it Tortoise Disneyland, I never realized how active sullys can be. Now just have to plan on what's next, when he outgrows this playground. Will have to look into buying a home with a yard haha

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I just read somewhere on this site someone bought a home that could accommodate their tort.. LOL who knew..I have been looking for shelters that not only are perfect for my tort, but also look good in my home .. not easy on a budget... a few of the really nice looking enclosures I did find, they just look way to small & in my opinion not user friendly... I am trying to figure out if I should have something with a cover or like you have open... I def like what you have , may I ask is it light enuf that you can move it around yourself ? and if I had my husband make one what kind of wood do you suggest ? ur lucky you have a 10x10 area like that.. right now I keep Fred in a 20L tank at night, but during day I let him roam free in a safe dog pen in sunroom.. I feel I would let him have free range if I didn't have dogs .. my plan is during summer months he will go outside, so I am looking for lots of outdoor ideas too... found a lot of great ideas that even I can make (HA!) and that's alot to ask from a tool challenged momma

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Smylemaker if you are considering an open top read all the threads relating to humidity. Sheldonrocks has his own views and opinions but everyone with a closed hot n humid home has a smooth tort. None the less awesome home and it looks great

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
yes < I have been trying to read as much as possible about care, and habitats so much to learn & explore here... still learning a lot and clueless , I kinda get lost with so many threads, and Thank GOD so many of you who know alot help me learn whats best <3

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Sam and welcome! I really like his enclosure and all the wonderful things you have added to give him various types of exercise for his body and mind. I do notice that there is a reflector light in the front that looks like it is there using only the clipon it comes with. You may want to wire it up also, as those clips are known to malfunction with horrible results. Glad to have you here! :)

SheldonRocks

5 Year Member
Well he has to sleeping boxes, one has a warm mist humidifier running 24 hours a day at night he always chooses the humid box to sleep in