New tort - general questions

rogueone

Hello, I just adopted a Russian a few days ago. It's my first tort but had a bearded dragon for 9 years so I'm not totally clueless. From what i have read my new tort is a male. He came from sub par conditions with no name, no idea of age, and a diet of lettuce/tomato. Homed in a Rubbermaid bin with nothing but your everyday fluorescent light (which only got turned on at night?!?). Needless to say, I've given him some upgrades.
To start his name is Banko! Which is a zen Buddhist names that translates to"everlasting" in Japanese.
I am just wrapping up an outdoor enclosure for him that is 4'x13' foot. He seems to enjoy it but only uses about 2'x3' feet of it, as I guess he's is not used to exploring.

I'm curious if you guys had a guess on his age? He weighs 520 grams, I could give you a shell measurement but I'm unsure which measurements to take. Also see photo attached.

I have some plants On my property that I'd like to include in his enclosure but want to make sure they are good for him.
1. Jade? I've seen it is on one list, but know there are many varieties, are they all ok?
2. Sedum Telephium, again I see sedum as good, but this variation looks nothing like sedum.
3. vicia, I think I also saw as ok, but wanted to double check, as his area was previously infested with it before I cleared it out, and I'm sure will be back.

He has been chomping on clover & dandelion leaves, and kale, these seem to be his go to meal. I have TNT with probiotic on it's way!

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO fromAZ . Cute Russian tort but you may want to feed him on a slab of tile his beak is a little long if you put his food on tile he will slowly file it down. I have Russians and I like to show them ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404033015.824767.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Here's what I found on the vicia:

http://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/all/vicia-faba/

The others are ok.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Check out a site called The Tortoise Table. They have a great list of common plants and tell you which are safe, which are iffy and which are toxic. Congratulations and good luck with your new tort! :)