new tort owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzizA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, wa
I just got a russain tortoise from a family that no longer had the time for him that he deserves. I plan on taking him to the vet next week just for a check up, are there any questions I should ask or things that I should have checked specifically. He is really active and a good eater, I just want to make sure he is as healthy as he seems.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, AzizA!

Since your tortoise seems to have a good appetite, don't allow the vet to give him a vitamin A injection.

AzizA

5 Year Member
Olympia, wa
I was planning on just a routine check up but since I've never owned a tort before I just want to make sure I cover all the bases so I'm not taking him back soon for something that could be covered in the first visit. I did read somewhere that I should have a fecal sample done to check for parasites.

AzizA

5 Year Member
Olympia, wa
I took Hekamer to the vet and she said that he has slight pyramiding and had a mild case of round worm but that he looked really good. One thing she suggested though that seemed off is that I should be giving him animal protein. Cat food or meal worms were the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.