New Tortoise Mother

Lexie1234

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi everyone! My name's Lexie and I'm from Chicago. Two days ago, the day after Christmas, I went out and bought a redfoot. He's my first tortoise.
I was wondering if you guys had any tips for me? He wheezes when he breathes but doesn't breathe through his mouth, so I'm assuming it's because the place take very good care of him and didn't give him the proper humidity he needs. Also, he has pyramids on his shell, which I believe is because he has some deficiencies (they didn't give him calcium or vitamin D3 supplements, which I've come to believe is important based on some of my research). I also don't think they gave him a UVB light, only a heat lamp, although it could have been a bulb that provides both. I know they didn't have the proper heat for him either, and he was in a 20 gal (but I don't know if that was just because I had called up earlier that day and they wanted to put him out for me to see, either way that doesn't excuse it.) Right now I have him in a 40 gal, and he's about 6-8 inches long. I let him out to walk around my room for about an hour a day so he's not cooped up in there. I keep it consistently 60-80% humidity.
Sorry for the word blob haha. So, is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks in advance!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome @Lexie1234
Don't go out and waste your money on one of those coiled light bulbs that say they provide UV light.
Get a strip florescent like this.
And a CHE for heat.
Temps must be between 80 and 88. 82 is perfect.
Humidity needs to be over 70%. This is made easier by closing off part or most of the top of your enclosure.
Also, the enclosure....When the weather is better. You'll need to provide something MUCH larger. Maybe something outdoors?

Attachments

• 20170220_213415.jpg
    20170220_213415.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37

Lexie1234

Chicago
Welcome @Lexie1234
Don't go out and waste your money on one of those coiled light bulbs that say they provide UV light.
Get a strip florescent like this.
And a CHE for heat.
Temps must be between 80 and 88. 82 is perfect.
Humidity needs to be over 70%. This is made easier by closing off part or most of the top of your enclosure.
Also, the enclosure....When the weather is better. You'll need to provide something MUCH larger. Maybe something outdoors?
Ah, thanks!!! And I'm planning on building a 6' by 8' tortoise table, I just need to gather the supplies! Right now the tank is just temporary. Sadly, I can't put him outdoors because rarely does Northern Illinois ever get to that humidity or temperature and stay there. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing I'm providing the proper temp & humidity than have him outdoors and risk unnecessary stress and illnesses that could be prevented. Although, during the days where it is perfect for him, I'll definitely take him out!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ah, thanks!!! And I'm planning on building a 6' by 8' tortoise table, I just need to gather the supplies! Right now the tank is just temporary. Sadly, I can't put him outdoors because rarely does Northern Illinois ever get to that humidity or temperature and stay there. I'd feel much more comfortable knowing I'm providing the proper temp & humidity than have him outdoors and risk unnecessary stress and illnesses that could be prevented. Although, during the days where it is perfect for him, I'll definitely take him out!!
I'm in sunny, steamy south Florida.
I tend to take it for granted.

Lexie1234

Chicago
I like the way you think
You'd be one of the first! Haha, well besides Stew. Yes, I named my tortoise Stew. Yes, I definitely considered Soup. Yes, I realized I couldn't explain it away as a nickname for Stewart.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and your tortoise! You came to a great site!

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
Only one of mine even has a name
I’m curious, why only name (and mark!) one? Does Julio have specific needs of some sort, or is he just the only pet of the bunch?

I’m so jealous seeing all of those cuties. I’m sure I have a warped perception of tortoise ownership since Libbon loves to be pet and held (he came to me as an adult like this!), so I see a group of redfoots and imagine snuggly affection like a pile o’ puppies!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
No affection from my tortoises.
There is some debate that the giant Aldabra, Sulcata, etc have shown something akin to affection towards an individual. The smaller species, my Redfoot included are clearly interested in the food. They like seeing me because I'm the food GOD.
Anyone else bringing food would also replace me 100% in a month.
Affection is something that we imprint on them. They do not get affectionate. In fact, they don't even like other tortoises around.
Julio was the first tortoise I purchased after not keeping them for a while and back then, I thought she was a male.
She's my favorite. She tolerates being held. I can't say for her that she likes it. But she does seem to expect that I may be lifting her into the air when I reach for her.
Being lifted generally terrifies tortoises. Being touched is unnatural. Being scratched, they must learn to accept. And some never seem to enjoy it. Some do.
I still can't say that that's affection. I see cows with birds picking parasites off of them in the wild. The animal seems to enjoy the bird removing these things, scratching an itch. But does the cow have affection for the bird?
We humans tend to think so because some of us are affectionate (some;)) and we show it by touching, etc.
Reptile brains are wired differently.
If you can get joy from petting your tortoise....It isn't harming the animal. No harm done.

Last edited:

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
@ZEROPILOT, I was mostly kidding! I forget that sarcasm and wry winks are hard to convey in this medium. Tortoises do not equal puppies, and I definitely don’t think they are tumbling all over each other to get to you for pets. I fully appreciate that it is usually stressful for most tortoises to be handled. Libbon had the same owner from a hatchling until 13 y/o when I adopted him (last year). I didn’t make him like this, but he definitely desires human touch, even if it’s because he’s conditioned to associate the contact with food or other reward. Similarly, much of human behavior is biologically driven, with the main goal being proliferation of our species.

I didn’t intend to derail the thread, but I did feel like I needed to clarify so that you knew I wasn’t a delusional idiot.

I’m still jealous of all of your RFs, even if they won’t blow you kisses.