New tortoise owner (Calcium question)

isabellaandvesta

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City Beach, FL
Hi my name is Isabella and I am located in Florida. I have a gopher tortoise i just recently was given by my brother. She has had a poor diet and is deformed :( someone on the forum recommended I sprinkle calcium powder on her food about three times per week. Does anyone have a good recommantion for a calcium powder for me to order?
I have attached a photo of the one I found online!

Attachments

• IMG_3245.PNG
    IMG_3245.PNG
    359.1 KB · Views: 20

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How much and often do you feed the shells? Does it run the same as store bought calcium, a small pinch once or twice a week?
Also, have you ever ran into the problem of the torts not wanting to eat if the shell powder is on their food like what is a problem a lot with the store bought stuff?
Oh an if you would please. How exactly do you prepare the shell, other then grinding it? Wash, dry, etc?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How much and often do you feed the shells? Does it run the same as store bought calcium, a small pinch once or twice a week?
Also, have you ever ran into the problem of the torts not wanting to eat if the shell powder is on their food like what is a problem a lot with the store bought stuff?
Oh an if you would please. How exactly do you prepare the shell, other then grinding it? Wash, dry, etc?
When my wife fixes breakfast she turns the egg shells up side down on a paper plate they will set like that for 3-4 days then I run them through the grinder . And put the powder in a plastic bottle til I need it .
Now I feed about 20 pounds of food everyday to my torts . So I sprinkle a little on the food everyday and mix it up real well .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When my wife fixes breakfast she turns the egg shells up side down on a paper plate they will set like that for 3-4 days then I run them through the grinder . And put the powder in a plastic bottle til I need it .
Now I feed about 20 pounds of food everyday to my torts . So I sprinkle a little on the food everyday and mix it up real well .
Thank you. Going to try this.