New Website Needing Feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Its been a lot of work doing the new site. This is what I have so far. I would love some feedback. I am still in the research,editing, addding photo stage of the website for many of the species, and other pages. I plan to include more that is on the website. Just wanted to get all the tort lovers and everyones opinion on the site so far.

Thanks,
Kelly

http://sitekreator.com/tortshack/main.html

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it looks very nice so far. Can't wait to see it done. So hurry up will you, you don't have enough to do as it is. LOL :p :D.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
:D I know, thats why its been taking me forever. But since I joined the forum, it kinda forced me into doing it. I get alot of people asking for a website, people that want to relenquish animals, heck even USFW wanted to see my website. I was like UHHHHHHHH yeah Its not done yet. So I figured need to get it done. I figure about 8 more months. sigh, so much to do. Maybe I can start drinking pots and pots of coffee and stay up super late, after working on the new buildings. I need a clone.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I am a grammar Nazi and noticed that you spelled unique wrong, and a few other little grammar things in the opened paragraph.

Anyways, I know most people don't care at all about grammar, just thought I'd point those out and the website overall looks amazing, it's obvious that you have been working really hard on it and that really shows.

C'mon, we gotta wait 8 more months for the finished project!?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looks great so far! love the layout and it's easy to navigate.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My first impression is the background color is way dark, needs to be a lighter. Love the greenish color. I will give your new site some thought, good ideas so far!

The4ts

5 Year Member
Looks really good, the text is a little hard to read via iPhone, the color/font combo but I imagine it's a lot easier to read on a computer.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
One other little thing I've noticed is that in some of your tort species profiles, the pictures are REALLY big. I don't even know how to fix that... but I'm sure you do :) And that's why I will never make a website, I'm so technologically inept.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I was wondering about the color beong too dark. And I just figured out uesterday how to resize the photos, so some of those bad boys are gonna go smaller.

mlnauman

5 Year Member
Whidbey Island WA
I think what you are doing is wonderful. I'm too much in awe of your devotion to torts to give helpful feedback on the website! Am dismayed on what you reported happening on Galapagos...that is so sad. Is there something I can do from here? Write letters? Give contribution??

MLN[/b]

tortadise said:
oIts been a lot of work doing the new site. This is what I have so far. I would love some feedback. I am still in the research,editing, addding photo stage of the website for many of the species, and other pages. I plan to include more that is on the website. Just wanted to get all the tort lovers and everyones opinion on the site so far.

Thanks,
Kelly

http://sitekreator.com/tortshack/main.html

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
mlnauman said:
I think what you are doing is wonderful. I'm too much in awe of your devotion to torts to give helpful feedback on the website! Am dismayed on what you reported happening on Galapagos...that is so sad. Is there something I can do from here? Write letters? Give contribution??

MLN[/b]

Contributions are always a huge help, I just really want to provide the best facilities for the sake of the species, I know zoos try as hard as they can but the big guys need a vast amount of space like I am providing. If you know any facilities that need to rehome an aldabra or galapagos, letters and any help is very much appreciated.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I like to get helpful feedback for my site as well, so I will tell you the sort of thing I like to hear for mine.

Overall- I really like the site- clean, fresh, easy to navigate. Some concerns- photos too big (already mentioned), colors not great for mobile devices (already mentioned), minor grammar errors (like lower case genus names in scientific name areas, spacing after periods and dashes, capitalization, etc.) The sentences seem to 'break' in odd places.

About- I would LOVE to know more about the repopulation aspect of the program. Breeders are a dime a dozen on-line, but researchers and repopulators are special!

Burmese brown- nesting info in habitat section. I'd prefer more about the habitat. The other stuff can go in an 'Interesting Facts' or 'Reproduction' section.

Forstens- you tell us in one sentence that they are crepuscular, then in the next tell us they are active at dawn and dusk. It might be best to modify this to "...crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk)."

Other than a few minor formatting points, grammar seems to be the biggest overall weakness. It is REALLY REALLY hard to proofread your own stuff- it all sounds 'right' in your own mind- but it is a big part of how others will judge the site.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I am the worst at editing. Luckily my mother is an author and all the text is awaiting the edits it needs. I like the color but it is too dark. Im working on all the feedback. Just been busy with building buildings.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What??? There are higher priorities in life than endlessly tinkering with a website? I am SHOCKED by the idea... and also intrigued. I wonder what would happen if I left the Library completely alone for a few days. I am afraid the world will come to an end, though.

Heck- the way things are going, maybe letting the world end would not be such a bad thing??

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I think you do need more coffee for sure, And I thought my 7 torts were keeping me busy:D Your doing a great job and Im sure the website will be perfect by the time you are done

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Dude your a beast....greenhouse....aldabra/galop enclosure.........and website.....are you related to the energizer bunny?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I'm enjoying reading all you have up on it thus far!
Can't wait to watch the progress and see the finished product. Keep up the great work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.