Newbie Needing advice

Emmillie

Hi, i'm new to this forum and i was hoping for some advice.
Ive recently purchased a Horsefield tortoise, i have done some major research before my purchase, but there are so many opinions on food, substrate and set up i'm a bit confused . Ill post a pic of my set up, any advice on lay out etc would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_7706.JPG

Emmillie

Hi all, i'm new to this forum. I have recently aquired a 2year old Horsefield tortoise. Here is a picture of our new family member, named Flash.IMG_7694.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A few things need changing ASAP. One, the pellets need to go. Think of the wild. They won't walk one pellets, no matter what someone told you. Dirt, coconut coir, wood chips all good. Second, that's too small of an enclosure for an adult Russian. 4x8 minimum. Also be sure the basking temp is 90-100 at tort height. The strip light looks too high. How high from tort light is it?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Emillie

That cage isn't suitable for your little Russian.

Your tort needs warm humidity to grow healthily.

In a cage you cannot keep the heat or humidity in.

You need to read and act on those threads I linked to in your other thread.

Your tort needs a closed chamber... Something with a lid

It needs an earth like substrate that you can mix with water so it is evenly damp throughout. The substrate needs to be around 10cm deep.

You must know the enclosure temperatures warm side, overnight minimum, cool side and most importantly of all directly under the basking lamp.

Under the lamp it must be 35-37C

You need to make a lot of changes, sorry, or you will soon have a very sick tortoise.

Manteca, CA
I would highly recommend changing the enclosure! For the substrate, I would go with a 50-50 ratio of play sand, top soil (without any fertilizers!), and woodchips. I would advise that you get a new enclosure. This looks way to small. A 4x7 ft enclosure would be better! if you need any more help be sure to ask!

Emmillie

thank you all for all your help, i'm stressing now. I was told as hes only 2 inches long hed be ok in this size cage untill i could get a bigger one. The cage is closed in on all sides and top apart from the front. The temp at basking spot is 34-37C cool end is 22-24C. I have soil/play sand at one end and straw nuggets at the other, i'm getting rid of the straw stuff and replacing it with soil/sand asap. Ive lowered the strip light to within an inch of the heat light. If there are any other things i need please advise me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's closed in as in escape proof. But there are big gaps between the bars. Your tort needs something like a vivarium until it's grown another couple of inches.

You have clearly received outdated advice simply from the rabbit pellets. For your tort to be healthy it needs humidity (dampness) and warmth not desert conditions.

I don't agree with playsand for Russians. It sticks to food and becomes impacted in the gut. Follow Tom's instructions in those threads I linked and your tort will be fine :)