Newbie with question about tortoise up at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

koopa29

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! My name is Abbey and I happily share my home with a 3yr old leopard tortoise and a 3 month old greek tortoise. I live in central NJ and I am hoping to learn all I can about my tortoises.

My recent addition "Ares" the Greek tortoise has been displaying some behavior that I find unusual but for all I know could be normal. For the past few days he has been getting up before his day light goes on and going to bed while its still on but getting up again late at night after his day light is off. I would almost say it seems like nocturnal behavior. Is this normal?? Could he be getting up late at night because I'm up late?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks![/u]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RE: Newbie with question **please read**

Welcome to the Forum ......:shy:

Torts will get use to your routines( they think it's feeding time) .... if kept indoors with incandescent lights that are kept on can also disturb sleeping routines. Another factor to consider ...is All living things are going thru a biological "re set" as we approach the winter. The shorter days seem to work either way of staying up to late or getting up to early. With some time this should adjust to the waking /sleeping hours we endure during the winter times.
JD~:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Newbie with question **please read**

Hi Abbey and welcome to the Forum!

Do you use a black or red night light? Some tortoises can actually see at night with these lights...and the fact that you are moving around might cause him to think he should be up too.

koopa29

5 Year Member
Hi and thanks for responding to my post. I believe the light would be considered a black light because it reminds me of the ones I used as a teen to light up my posters. Lol. If it makes a difference it's a 100 watt bulb. He's very active, social and seems happy and eats extremely well. As for getting him used to my routine, what's the best way to go about that? For example he went to bed last night but then got up again at 12:30am and was looking for food. Then this am he was up about 7-8am ate his breakfast and now is sleeping again. Its now 10:30. My leopard doesn't do this so I'm a bit confused.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe you can cover his habitat at night like we do with birds???? Just be careful to use something that your light doesn't catch on fire.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of the greek keepers here agree that in any normal house, any of the Testudo species do not need night heat. Your leopard certainly does, but your greek ought to have a nice dark night with cooler temps.

Miggymeister

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Tom said:
Most of the greek keepers here agree that in any normal house, any of the Testudo species do not need night heat. Your leopard certainly does, but your greek ought to have a nice dark night with cooler temps.

All of my pets sleep in bed with me and love snuggling under the goose down comforter.

Out of three Sulcatas only baby Camelot (1 1/2 years old) starts bobbing around in the middle of the night but I think it's because he's hungry. I rock him for a bit and then he settles back down.

Naturally he gets an extra big breakfast when morning arrives but I don't feed him at the time because I don't want to encourage the behavior.

Miggy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't do that or recommend it, but to each his/her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.