Status
Not open for further replies.

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

Hi, I'm new here. We don't have our tortoise yet, but we will be getting one within the next few weeks. It is a russian tortoise about 7 months old. My husband and I are very excited for our new addition. We have thought many times over the years about getting a turtle/tortoise of some kind, but things didn't work out as planned. This time it is definate though.

I am looking for good habitat ideas and other on-going support :) We plan to start out in a rubbermaid type container, and build a tortoise table within the next few months.

We have two young children. We know the risk of Salmonella, and plan to take necessary precautions (i.e., HANDWASHING) to prevent any exposure.

Anyhow, I am very glad to have found this forum.

Jane, Portland Oregon

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Welcome, Jane. When you get your new "baby" pass on some pictures. Everyone loves pictures here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jane: Welcome to the forum. I was born in Portland (many, MANY years ago), and I seem to remember some pretty nice summertime weather. For now, the rubbermaid tub will be a good habitat, but be thinking about building an outdoor pen for when he gets to be a little older.

Yvonne

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What do the numbers stand for after your pets?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JaneB said:
What do the numbers stand for after your pets?

Hi Jane: for instance, 1.1.2 leopards would mean that the person has 1 male, 1 female and two that are too young to sex yet.

Yvonne

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ok, that makes sense. :)

As I don't really have one yet, I will just not put that part. :)

Jane

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
hi Jane and welcome to the forum.:)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Welcome to the forum Jane!! Let's keep track of how long it takes for your to have a second tort!! LOL They are addicting.....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Jane a big welcome to you! Russians are sweet little torts. Am looking forward to seeing pictures, when it comes. Do the children know about the soon-to-arrive family member?

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Jane a big welcome to you! Russians are sweet little torts. Am looking forward to seeing pictures, when it comes. Do the children know about the soon-to-arrive family member?

Yes, they know we have it planned (not that my 2 y.o. really cares, lol) our 5 1/2 yr old loves the idea. I don't think he knows its definate yet or not, as he is at my in-laws spending the week. He'll be home on Friday though.

I'm going to try to post a pic, not sure if it will work or not, it might be too big. If it works, our Tort, my husband wants to name it Tasha, I'm not sold on that yet, is the one in the "12:00" position.

And thanks for the kind welcome!

Jane, Portland Oregon

View attachment 1276

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Can imagine the older one's excitement. :D Are you going to be going and picking it up and enduring the "torture" waiting for the delivery truck?

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Can imagine the older one's excitement. :D Are you going to be going and picking it up and enduring the "torture" waiting for the delivery truck?

Nope, no road trip for us, lol, Nebraska isn't really that close to Oregon. My daughter has on-going health problems and we have numerous medical appointments for her that I miss too much work for already. So, we will be enduring the dreaded wait for the delivery truck. :) Plus with the cost of gas, it has GOT to be cheaper!

Our breeder says she has never had one be DOA, so I hope thats a good sign.

Our son has always been an animal lover, so I see it being a "love at first sight" kind of moment. That is good, as he may inherit it someday :)

Jane

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Saw that picture and thought it looked familiar, now I know why. Your getting one from Shelly in Lincoln right? She is a wonderful person and her Russians are the best group I have been privileged seeing.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sorry - I somehow posted before complete: Hi Jane - pretty tortoise picture, bet you can't wait!

Sandy and Tank the Leopard tort

JaneB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Saw that picture and thought it looked familiar, now I know why. Your getting one from Shelly in Lincoln right? She is a wonderful person and her Russians are the best group I have been privileged seeing.

I believe you are right! :) I am buying it from a Shelly in Nebraska. I have heard wonderful things and it only makes me more confident in my decision to buy from her. She is VERY awesome and has been very good an giving information as well.

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.