newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony's torts

5 Year Member
Howdy do?

I am a turtle enthusiast who is wanting to connect to others and gather additional knowledge and experience regarding tortoise care. I own four turtles at present, only two of which are tortoises. Those two are cherry head redfoots and are truly some of the funnest pets to own. I know as these cherry heads grow the sex differentiation is a bit different than that of a redfoot. Are there characteristics I should be looking for that will better define their sex as the mature? I know the shorter/wider tail is a female and a plastron that is more flat. Also, I believe it is the wider anal scute that is male but not sure on that one. I have been informed that the body shape is harder to define on cherry heads and that is what I am wanting to pin down better--so is it the peanut and loaf of bread shape I should watch for or something else? I am also interested in buying a male cherry head as I believe my two are "shaping" up to be females any leads for a good tort. at a super price? Lastly, does anyone here know or sell radiated torts at a good price? I have wanted one for years but they are so expensive and I need to get the special license. How about CB Egyptian torts? Let me know and thanks for including me.

Cheers,

Tony

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tony:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

I'm not good at sexing the redfoots, so I'll leave that up to the others on the forum. But if you'll start a new thread in the redfoot section and post pictures of the plastrons including the tail areas, someone here will be able to sex them for you.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Hi Tony and WELCOME!!!

Not a cherryhead or redfoot keeper myself - I have Hermanns Tortoises and Caspian Water turtles, but there are some great people on the forum who will no doubt step in to help!

Enjoy!

Oh and before EVERYONE else says it - WE LOVE PICTURES!!!! Particularly if you want to be sure of gender....

Helen xxx

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum Tony. There's a lot to be learned here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I think price ought to be a very small determining factor in a tortoise buying decision. I think quality and care are much more important details.

You don't need the captive bred wildlife permit for radiated tortoises, unless you are crossing state lines. If you buy them in your state and keep them in your state, you do not need any permits.

tony's torts

5 Year Member
What great responses! I live in Utah. Are there any persons you know of that are selling radiates here?

tony's torts

5 Year Member
bubbles01 said:
Hi Tony and WELCOME!!!

Not a cherryhead or redfoot keeper myself - I have Hermanns Tortoises and Caspian Water turtles, but there are some great people on the forum who will no doubt step in to help!

Enjoy!

Oh and before EVERYONE else says it - WE LOVE PICTURES!!!! Particularly if you want to be sure of gender....

Helen xxx

Thanks helen I will do my best to get some pictures out there

Status
Not open for further replies.