Normal Shell Growth Sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks okay. Is that a split scute? Can we see a pic looking straight down n the carapace?

You said "he". Are you sure about that? The head size and gulars do look male. Can we see a pic of the tail and anal scutes? It would be an unusual thing to have a male with a split scute like that. I would love to verify just for the novelty of it.

He needs a night box. Here are two examples with safe and effective heating methods. You can't use heat lamps and CHEs over the big ones.

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
Cu
Looks okay. Is that a split scute? Can we see a pic looking straight down n the carapace?

You said "he". Are you sure about that? The head size and gulars do look male. Can we see a pic of the tail and anal scutes? It would be an unusual thing to have a male with a split scute like that. I would love to verify just for the novelty of it.

He needs a night box. Here are two examples with safe and effective heating methods. You can't use heat lamps and CHEs over the big ones.
currently working on a night box! He has dug his own burrow, but making him his own space. Awesome info! Thank you!
Hes 100% a male. The first day I got him, he had his genitals all out on display 😂 I was mortified but quickly recovered. Yes he has a split scute. I knew with him being a lost guy, he would be easily identifiable, besides the fact he was painted purple..😖 I Will attached some photos I have but I’m working so I’ll get what I can off my phone. 02CDE0A0-50B3-456F-B8D6-C1780E38D00C.png712291A7-AD9B-4043-8156-A5F2C40BE1B8.png279FB617-E10E-4368-AB74-AD288FBB1EE6.png

OliveW

Branford, FL
Cu

currently working on a night box! He has dug his own burrow, but making him his own space. Awesome info! Thank you!
Hes 100% a male. The first day I got him, he had his genitals all out on display 😂 I was mortified but quickly recovered. Yes he has a split scute. I knew with him being a lost guy, he would be easily identifiable, besides the fact he was painted purple..😖 I Will attached some photos I have but I’m working so I’ll get what I can off my phone.

He's very handsome! Congratulations. Hopefully the purple wears off. People are so bizarre at times. Since it's only the back, maybe a child was doing it and got caught before the entire shell could be painted.

I would guess he's more likely abandoned, rather than lost, especially given his VERY identifiable features. The part of Florida where I live, some weeks as many as three Sulcatas are found and posted in area groups. Only a couple of times has the reverse been true - owners looking for escapees.

My guy is a found friend that nobody ever claimed, or looked for that I'm aware of. I got so lucky because he's got the personality of a puppy, super friendly, active, and comes running to me. I've been told most Sulcatas have amazing personalities like this, but I frequently visit one at my parent's neighbor that is shy and reserved, nothing like my boy.

Anyway, please follow Tom's care sheet and you will have a wonderful friend to enjoy for a lifetime. I know you're already working on a night box, which is great. Until it's finished, make sure your boy is safe at night. Even racoon can kill tortoises and they will climb your fence and exist pretty much everywhere.

I love your picture with a flower in his "hair." He looks pretty annoyed and embarrassed, but what a cutie! 😘 :tort:Welcome to all of you!

On another note, @Tom I notice the above Sully is eating pellets and what appears to be Timothy hay. Is that okay for the big boys? I only ask because of my husband. I know you've already given me the best advice and my boy is doing very well grazing. It's just hard to convince my husband that we don't need to feed Tortimer this time of year, only soak him, water him, and walk him for variety of grazing.

I've tried to explain to my husband that his need to feed doesn't line up with Tortimer's needs, but it's falling on deaf ears. If there was something I could let my husband "feed" in small amounts, I feel like it would be safer for my boy so he doesn't sneak him things he shouldn't have. Yes, I know he needs to just act like an adult, but this is an ongoing battle, so I'm looking for something safe to add to his diet.

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
He's very handsome! Congratulations. Hopefully the purple wears off. People are so bizarre at times. Since it's only the back, maybe a child was doing it and got caught before the entire shell could be painted.

I would guess he's more likely abandoned, rather than lost, especially given his VERY identifiable features. The part of Florida where I live, some weeks as many as three Sulcatas are found and posted in area groups. Only a couple of times has the reverse been true - owners looking for escapees.

My guy is a found friend that nobody ever claimed, or looked for that I'm aware of. I got so lucky because he's got the personality of a puppy, super friendly, active, and comes running to me. I've been told most Sulcatas have amazing personalities like this, but I frequently visit one at my parent's neighbor that is shy and reserved, nothing like my boy.

Anyway, please follow Tom's care sheet and you will have a wonderful friend to enjoy for a lifetime. I know you're already working on a night box, which is great. Until it's finished, make sure your boy is safe at night. Even racoon can kill tortoises and they will climb your fence and exist pretty much everywhere.

I love your picture with a flower in his "hair." He looks pretty annoyed and embarrassed, but what a cutie! 😘 :tort:Welcome to all of you!

On another note, @Tom I notice the above Sully is eating pellets and what appears to be Timothy hay. Is that okay for the big boys? I only ask because of my husband. I know you've already given me the best advice and my boy is doing very well grazing. It's just hard to convince my husband that we don't need to feed Tortimer this time of year, only soak him, water him, and walk him for variety of grazing.

I've tried to explain to my husband that his need to feed doesn't line up with Tortimer's needs, but it's falling on deaf ears. If there was something I could let my husband "feed" in small amounts, I feel like it would be safer for my boy so he doesn't sneak him things he shouldn't have. Yes, I know he needs to just act like an adult, but this is an ongoing battle, so I'm looking for something safe to add to his diet.
Thank you! Yeah it was kinda sad no one was looking for him. He’s got a puppy dog personality all the way! He follows me everywhere and wants to be in the middle of everything! Night box should be up by this weekend! He doesn’t seem like he had ever tired hibiscus before, he didn’t know what to do with it at first! Luckily he’s got the whole yard to roam and eat as much grass as he needs and hay, but still working on eating hay, when I mix with pellets he starts to eat it so hopefully he’ll start eating hay on its own!
Looking forward to owning him! It’s been super fun so far!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Lovely looking tort, as Tom requested please can you lift his rear end or prop on a stone or brick if too heavy and photo the tail and rear end?
Shame about the paint if you search this forum there have been previous discussions on paint removal it may help.
Please read the sulcata care sheet and ensure he has what is required inc room to roam , diet, heat, calcium for shell growth and water. A regular soak in a shallow warm paddling pool is another idea. Enjoy your new shelled warrior and thanks for taking it in.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Lovely looking tort, as Tom requested please can you lift his rear end or prop on a stone or brick if too heavy and photo the tail and rear end?
Shame about the paint if you search this forum there have been previous discussions on paint removal it may help.
Please read the sulcata care sheet and ensure he has what is required inc room to roam , diet, heat, calcium for shell growth and water. A regular soak in a shallow warm paddling pool is another idea. Enjoy your new shelled warrior and thanks for taking it in.
Perhaps the pink colour you mention is related to the purple paint - there may have been other colouring attempts - with pink crayon, maybe? Poor chap !
Does he have a bigger water dish - that one looks rather small and easy to tip over.?
He looks great and I'm very glad he has found a so much better home with you.
Angie

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
I won’t be able to get photos until later today, but I know he is a male. He has the wide anal scutes, tail curled to the side and I have seen his whole genitals out. I know 100% he’s a male. He has free roam on a large yard, calcium sprinkled in good regularly, soaking pool, and multiple water dishes around as well as fresh hay out. Will definitely be reviewing the care sheet & forums to remove paint.

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
Perhaps the pink colour you mention is related to the purple paint - there may have been other colouring attempts - with pink crayon, maybe? Poor chap !
Does he have a bigger water dish - that one looks rather small and easy to tip over.?
He looks great and I'm very glad he has found a so much better home with you.
Angie
Not sure, the paint is only on the back side but I have no idea if the paint was toxic or not.

Yes! He has a big kiddie pool of water that has the sides cut off, 2 dog bowls, 2 container lids of water, but that is his favorite during dinner and I have no idea why 😂

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Not sure, the paint is only on the back side but I have no idea if the paint was toxic or not.

Yes! He has a big kiddie pool of water that has the sides cut off, 2 dog bowls, 2 container lids of water, but that is his favorite during dinner and I have no idea why 😂
That's a very good sign, I should think - he feels safe and able to assert himself and make choices. How long have you had him ?
Angie

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
That's a very good sign, I should think - he feels safe and able to assert himself and make choices. How long have you had him ?
Angie
It’s been about 3-4 weeks. He’s got a puppy dog personality, he wants to be doing everything I’m doing 😂 it seems like he definitely has adjusted and made my backyard his own. He sleeps in the same spot every night so when I make his box it will be very close to that spot.

Abackwoodsbarbie

Miami
Angi

9FABC5DB-E2CB-4796-B7AD-0176FEF6B7DA.jpeg
Best photos I could get at the moment! 7C72E87F-EAF1-47AA-9337-78DC8ADEE58B.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all, I just recently rescued a sulcata he’s about 45lbs. I’m in south Florida. First time with a tortoise and I’ve read about growth lines being white, but this guys look pink. Is this normal looking? Posting some pics over the last few weeks. Thank you! View attachment 348998View attachment 348999View attachment 349000View attachment 349001View attachment 349002
The growth lines look fine. They will sometimes appear pinkish due to the high number of blood vessels in the new bone which is being formed under them.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank you! Yeah it was kinda sad no one was looking for him. He’s got a puppy dog personality all the way! He follows me everywhere and wants to be in the middle of everything! Night box should be up by this weekend! He doesn’t seem like he had ever tired hibiscus before, he didn’t know what to do with it at first! Luckily he’s got the whole yard to roam and eat as much grass as he needs and hay, but still working on eating hay, when I mix with pellets he starts to eat it so hopefully he’ll start eating hay on its own!
Looking forward to owning him! It’s been super fun so far!

Welcome to the forum, please stick around :)

and thank you for rescuing him - he's adorable :)