Not eating

eduartonio

Location (City and/or State)
Corona, CA
I have a small leopard tortoise that I have been feeding bok choy, dandelions, arugula, and sometimes collard greens. I have seen that his shell seems to be pyramiding slightly so I read that its because I'm feeding him too rich food, and that his diet should consist primarily of pellets and hay. I've tried to change his diet and have been offering him wet pellets with plenty of both timothy and orchard hay. The problem now is that he does not want to even touch the hay nor the pellets. Anyone have any suggestions what I can do to teach him to eat his food?

20200311_105820.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Whatever book you read that in throw it away. Pyramiding is caused by being kept too dry, not by diet. I'm not sure about hay with leopards but I've read on here it takes awhile to get them used to it. I think leopards diet is similar to Sulcatas. @Tom can probably give your some advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful tortoise, however, the pyramiding problem isn't with your diet (but the diet needs changing), but rather with the dry enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read these. Leopards aren't grass eaters, and they don't typically eat hay. There is a good food list for any tortoise in the one thread. Most of the care info found for tortoises is wrong.

He is the correct care info: