OFF the COUCH and back to WORK after 5 years

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As some of you may know. I retired five years ago from an employer I had for almost 37 years. (Albeit 4 different and progressively higher paying positions) County job. Union job.
At the time, I was 54. I thought it was clever to retire so young. Certainly my monthly state pension would cover what was left of the bills and I'd be able to ride my motorcycle or go fishing or go shooting every day.
And I did for months. Alone. Because absolutely no one else that I was friends with are retired.
Didn't consider that.
Then it was October. The wife and I go away for 10 days in October. Usually out west to Lake Tahoe or a combination of Las Vegas and something.
That money wasn't just sitting there in the bank as extra. 65% of my pay covers the bills. But it doesn't do vacations. And my 3% cost of living raise doesn't keep up with inflation. The icing on the cake is that I'm too young for Social security or Medicaid. So I'm now shelling out about $835 a month for my medical insurance. Where it had been free. So it's 65% minus $835 per month.
All things I hadn't seriously considered.
But we did those vacations
The past 5 years have been boring and uneventful. Many days go by and I haven't accomplished a thing. Its like there is no longer any structure for the day. Asleep at 5 am. Wake up at noon or later. Just sad.
So, I did something about it: I've gone back to work full time. Same employer. Same position I started at all of those years ago. It pays exactly half of what I previously made. So my income will now be about 115% of my old pay. PLUS, my medical insurance is now free again. As is my life insurance. (Triple core) as part of my union bargaining unit contract
I'm a DOUBLE DIPPER now. It's what County employees that are retired. But return are called. And its something available to retirees once you've been retired for at least one year. I can not take part in any new Florida retirement plan since I'm already retired. But I'm not looking for a second pension anyway. Just something to take me into Social security age. Something I should have done in the first place.
So, that's my new plan. And I think it's a good one. It will actually make my final monthly Social security check larger too. For myself or my wife in the likely case that I croak. But who knows. I might live to see that. At any rate, I feel like I've done the responsible thing. The best thing for my wife and for myself.
We'll see.
One thing's for sure. Today was my first full day back at work. And I feel every moment of those 5 years of retirement in every joint of my body. Including old football injuries and a few other things I had forgotten about.
I'll be on the forum a little less too.
Thank you for the rant.
Ed

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
As some of you may know. I retired five years ago from an employer I had for almost 37 years. (Albeit 4 different and progressively higher paying positions) County job. Union job.
At the time, I was 54. I thought it was clever to retire so young. Certainly my monthly state pension would cover what was left of the bills and I'd be able to ride my motorcycle or go fishing or go shooting every day.
And I did for months. Alone. Because absolutely no one else that I was friends with are retired.
Didn't consider that.
Then it was October. The wife and I go away for 10 days in October. Usually out west to Lake Tahoe or a combination of Las Vegas and something.
That money wasn't just sitting there in the bank as extra. 65% of my pay covers the bills. But it doesn't do vacations. And my 3% cost of living raise doesn't keep up with inflation. The icing on the cake is that I'm too young for Social security or Medicaid. So I'm now shelling out about $835 a month for my medical insurance. Where it had been free. So it's 65% minus $835 per month.
All things I hadn't seriously considered.
But we did those vacations
The past 5 years have been boring and uneventful. Many days go by and I haven't accomplished a thing. Its like there is no longer any structure for the day. Asleep at 5 am. Wake up at noon or later. Just sad.
So, I did something about it: I've gone back to work full time. Same employer. Same position I started at all of those years ago. It pays exactly half of what I previously made. So my income will now be about 115% of my old pay. PLUS, my medical insurance and now free again. As is my life insurance. (Triple core)
I'm a DOUBLE DIPPER now. It's what County employees that are retired. But return are called. And its something available to retirees once you've been retired for at least one year. I can not take part in any new Florida retirement plan since I'm already retired. But I'm not looking for a second pension anyway. Just something to take me into Social security age. Something I should have done in the first place.
So, that's my new plan. And I think it's a good one. It will actually make my final monthly Social security check larger too. For myself or my wife in the likely case that I croak. But who knows. I might live to see that. At any rate, I feel like I've done the responsible thing. The best thing for my wife and for myself.
We'll see.
One thing's for sure. Today was my first full day back at work. And I feel every moment of those 5 years of retirement in every joint of my body. Including old football injuries and a few other things I had forgotten about.
I'll be on the forum a little less too.
Thank you for the rant.
Ed
I think it'll just take a little while and then you'll be right back at it. Maybe not the same as before but still doing something. And you'll be here when you get used to it all 😉 we're irresistible.🤗

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think it'll just take a little while and then you'll be right back at it. Maybe not the same as before but still doing something. And you'll be here when you get used to it all 😉 we're irresistible.🤗
Probably time and Tylenol is all I need

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Probably time and Tylenol is all I need
I think you made the right decision for you. When I retired I continued to work part time. I have my reasons for quitting. I'll be 70 soon but if I found the right part time job I'd become employed again. Then you have no restrictions put on what you earn. Ridiculous huh.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you made the right decision for you. When I retired I continued to work part time. I have my reasons for quitting. I'll be 70 soon but if I found the right part time job I'd become employed again. Then you have no restrictions put on what you earn. Ridiculous huh.
If I was on Social security and Medicare, I'd be restricted as to what I can get paid. But my pension isn't considered income towards Social security. So it's exempt.
I could get Social security. Plus my pension. Plus a part time job and still be fine. As long as that part time job doesn't pay over a certain amount. And I don't know the amount. But I believe it's like 30k.
That won't matter. Because if I get into Social security age and then take it and resign from this job, I'm just DONE.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
For myself or my wife in the likely case that I croak. But who knows. I might live to see that.
Um, Ed...don't we all live until we croak? 🤔

I am happy for you. I know that you have not been happy being retired, so this should work out well for you. I'm also glad that it was a choice...that circumstances didn't force you back.

I do hope that working won't take you away from the forum too much...it's nice having you here a lot. 😊

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
For myself or my wife in the likely case that I croak. But who knows. I might live to see that.

Um, Ed...don't we all live until we croak? 🤔

I am happy for you. I know that you have not been happy being retired, so this should work out well for you. I'm also glad that it was a choice...that circumstances didn't force you back.

I do hope that working won't take you away from the forum too much...it's nice having you here a lot. 😊
Thank you.
It's nice being here.
I'll be trolling from about 10:30 pm to around 3:30 am Eastern std time. Starting next week.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
LOL, getting up for work about now Z?

I give you a lot of credit. It takes a secure person to not only admit making a mistake to themselves, but to share it with strangers so that maybe they don't do the same. To make the decision and follow through on it to go back to work when you really don't have to, that takes courage.

You ended the madness, and you know what I mean. Yeah, it caught me by surprise too and I was only taking 6 months off.

For others, it's when you have all the time to do anything that you want to do, might even have the funds but you have no interest in doing anything....that's madness!

Welcome back to the land of the American work force, hope you are patient with others, it's "different" now!! LOL

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If I was on Social security and Medicare, I'd be restricted as to what I can get paid. But my pension isn't considered income towards Social security. So it's exempt.
I could get Social security. Plus my pension. Plus a part time job and still be fine. As long as that part time job doesn't pay over a certain amount. And I don't know the amount. But I believe it's like 30k.
That won't matter. Because if I get into Social security age and then take it and resign from this job, I'm just DONE.
Yes. But if you're not possibly 70 then it will matter and I don't think it's 30k. It's way less.but I could be wrong. I'm sure you'll check out the facts.🤗 and if you want to work until whenever it'll all work out. I did some math and figured out I didn't need the money even though I do. I was just using the money for a bunch of extra junk stuff anyway. Now I can take better care of myself and the critters in my care. It's very hard to get used to retirement especially if you are still fairly young 😉😁

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your feet are probably telling you what you already know-this economy sticks right now. On the plus side-moving is living!!!
I worked Thursday and Friday.
I can't believe how sore I am.
Monday I start my new hours. And those are permanent

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I worked Thursday and Friday.
I can't believe how sore I am.
Monday I start my new hours. And those are permanent
Yes. Long long ago I used to ride bareback on a galloping horse. Now it would probably kill me just to sit on a horse while it walked. But you are still young and strong 💪. You'll be fine!