Oh Lordy! Another problem!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
As if falling trees, fire ants, and the heat aren't enough...a cat has moved into one of Chug's burrows!
I've never seen it before 2 days ago. It seems to be spending the hottest part of the afternoon in there. I'm praying there are no kittens. I looked in with a flashlight and couldn't see anything, but the only way to see all the way to the back is to lay flat on my belly, and it's just too hot. I'd never get back up! LOL!
Hopefully the cat will just stop coming around when the heat wave breaks. I'm fearful of putting Chug out there if it's still here when the ant treatment is finally done.

daniellenc

Maryland
Can you catch it? If so and it has no collar humane society. If not B.B. gun.....seriously don’t hesitate cat scratches and bites lead to horrific infection. Most wont come back or only will a time or two more. Cats aren’t dumb and it’s not going to kill it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you catch it? If so and it has no collar humane society. If not B.B. gun.....seriously don’t hesitate cat scratches and bites lead to horrific infection. Most wont come back or only will a time or two more. Cats aren’t dumb and it’s not going to kill it.
I hope it won't come to that. When I chase it, it goes across the street to houses there. Might just not be allowed in and is desperate for a cooler spot. It's very afraid of me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's animal cruelty!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
It would take a lot to get me to shoot it...I don't even have a BB gun. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

For such occasions like this, I find a garden hose to be highly effective ;)

However, if you feel a Rambo streak coming on, a pressure washer is fun too. lol

daniellenc

Maryland
That's animal cruelty!
I’m the kind of person who feels your cats belong in your house. Not digging around in my torts burrow, pooping in my yard, terrorizing my dog, digging in my garden and under my deck, and scratching up my patio furniture. Yes my neighbor had an outdoor cat who did all but the torts burrow. After returning the cat multiple times and showing her the damage to be ignored I shot him in his tush with my sons B.B. gun. Cat ran home, lady was mad, and cat stayed out of my yard. I still see Ajax everyday wondering around and he comes right up to me. However, he stays out of my yard. They have a lot of fur. The noise scared him most and now his owner does this cool thing where she brings him in and feeds him. He even lives indoors in the winter now and doesn’t appear to have mange. Sometimes owners need to be reminded their animals belong in their space.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’m the kind of person who feels your cats belong in your house. Not digging around in my torts burrow, pooping in my yard, terrorizing my dog, digging in my garden and under my deck, and scratching up my patio furniture. Yes my neighbor had an outdoor cat who did all but the torts burrow. After returning the cat multiple times and showing her the damage to be ignored I shot him in his tush with my sons B.B. gun. Cat ran home, lady was mad, and cat stayed out of my yard. I still see Ajax everyday wondering around and he comes right up to me. However, he stays out of my yard. They have a lot of fur. The noise scared him most and now his owner does this cool thing where she brings him in and feeds him. He even lives indoors in the winter now and doesn’t appear to have mange. Sometimes owners need to be reminded their animals belong in their space.
I understand where you are coming from, but still don't think I could actually do it.
He might not have a home. In my other thread Jail Time, the cat you see was a homeless bum who adopted us 5 years ago.
And no...I do not need another pet! LOL!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

I’m almost certain that some times, with a B.B. gun that’s powerful enough, the B.B. will go through skin and get stuck. That can cause a lot of vet bills, and just harm in general. Is your son’s B.B. gun weaker than the ones I’m thinking of?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Could I please ask that we drop the subject of shooting or otherwise potentially harming this cat?
We all have different ideas as to what is acceptable, and we each will do what our conscience allows.
I sense that this could become contentious, and that would be sad.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m almost certain that some times, with a B.B. gun that’s powerful enough, the B.B. will go through skin and get stuck. That can cause a lot of vet bills, and just harm in general. Is your son’s B.B. gun weaker than the ones I’m thinking of?
Yeah I’ve shot my foot with it lol. It’s just a simple shot no pump or rapid fire capability.

lunacris

New Orleans, LA
Line the floor with some type of irritating material. Like a computer chair pad, but flipped upside down. Those pads have little rubber spikes on the bottom. That might not be what’s woks, but you get the idea behind it. The cat won’t stay if what it’s laying on is uncomfortable.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Line the floor with some type of irritating material. Like a computer chair pad, but flipped upside down. Those pads have little rubber spikes on the bottom. That might not be what’s woks, but you get the idea behind it. The cat won’t stay if what it’s laying on is uncomfortable.
Good idea! I'll see what I may have laying around.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Is it possible to block access into the burrow ? First you would need to make sure no babies are in it. Maybe something as simple as a pillow in a plastic bag could be stuffed into it to block it off. after a while the cat may loose interest in the burrow and find another cool area to hide in.