OMG...what have I done??!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
How do you know any will be girls?
I won't even know if the baby I pick is a girl for a while 🤗my brother did promise me though he would call me when we have my baby. I'll be watching development and conditions. I'm pretty sure I won't go through the announcement of it's a boy like I did with Sapphire though 😜

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Unsolicited weigh in here - I would be cautious of taking it away from the mom that young, I would leave it with the mom for 8 weeks if you can.

I've been quiet during this thread because as an avid rescuer I actually find intentional breeding mixed breed dogs really heartbreaking, but that's not what this thread is about...

But that said, many dogs are orphaned by that age so it can be fine, but if you have the opportunity for them to get "natural" socialization and training from the mom, I would highly recommend that for as long as possible. I am sure there are some benefits to earlier separation, but overall I would never choose to do it by choice.
Here's what is the key to all of that. Briar is such a tiny little dog. She's so cute. She can barely turn over right now she's so pregnant. I feel so sorry for her. If I notice at all that she's having a hard time taking care of them I'll have to help her.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Here's what is the key to all of that. Briar is such a tiny little dog. She's so cute. She can barely turn over right now she's so pregnant. I feel so sorry for her. If I notice at all that she's having a hard time taking care of them I'll have to help her.
Yeah a lot will depend on how many she has and what her health is. A lot of little dogs really struggle during birth so hopefully your brother has a good vet on hand...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yeah a lot will depend on how many she has and what her health is. A lot of little dogs really struggle during birth so hopefully your brother has a good vet on hand...
I'm going to try and do what the both of you have said. I've not had a dog of my own in 20 odd years and I can use any advice I get. I keep feeling she's going to have 4 but that's just a premonition type thing. She's hilarious and if her puppies are anything like her at all....a puppy from her should be a wonderful gift. The thing I like about getting the puppy a bit younger is because of what I've found out about rabbits. If I can choose what a rabbit eats early in life they live longer. It may not be the same though. We need pictures of the little great Danes soon though. I like the personality of that breed but I can't deal with a dog that's bigger than me.🤗

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
We need pictures of the little great Danes soon though. I like the personality of that breed but I can't deal with a dog that's bigger than me.🤗
I heard ya, Cathie!

This was taken today...I thought they looked funny all piled up! And I had Petra to the vet yesterday for routine stuff, and she weighs 97 lbs.

20240124_121729.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I heard ya, Cathie!

This was taken today...I thought they looked funny all piled up! And I had Petra to the vet yesterday for routine stuff, and she weighs 97 lbs.

View attachment 365674
I could just eat them up! Thank god no more dogs for me or I'd be tempted, and certainly no dogs bigger than I am!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I could just eat them up! Thank god no more dogs for me or I'd be tempted, and certainly no dogs bigger than I am!
That's what I said... and well.... My brother's wife Briar is about to have puppies. 🤗 😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I heard ya, Cathie!

View attachment 365674
Back in my 20s I cared for a great Dane puppy around 6 to 9 months. He liked me too much.🙃 They really don't know how big they are and need a lot of training. I still enjoyed him.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I agree. My puppy will be with me as much as possible including my bed if she needs it.. I just have to understand what she needs as far as vaccines, vet visits, food and that kind of stuff. I intend to get her young around 6 weeks. I've papertrained a young litter of puppies once and my method worked even though they were only a few weeks old. I think one of my brother's soon to be born puppies will be a wonderful addition to our family.🙃🤗
Not sure where your brother lives, nor if this law applies to puppies which are given away rather than sold, but in some states, it is illegal to sell puppies younger than 8 weeks of age.

I am a former dog breeder, so am aware of this as a legal consideration. Also FWIW, I agree with the other ladies who recommended leaving your puppy with its dam until 8 weeks old. Sometimes removing them too soon causes insecurities and psychological problems for them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not sure where your brother lives, nor if this law applies to puppies which are given away rather than sold, but in some states, it is illegal to sell puppies younger than 8 weeks of age.

I am a former dog breeder, so am aware of this as a legal consideration. Also FWIW, I agree with the other ladies who recommended leaving your puppy with its dam until 8 weeks old. Sometimes removing them too soon causes insecurities and psychological problems for them.
I can take the pup anytime I want but I'm going to do my very best to do what the three of you have said and wait for the full 8 weeks. I did buy a boot tray for paper training today though. I have around 10 weeks to prepare according to everyone's advice here 🤗 so I got a good start on it.😉

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Back in my 20s I cared for a great Dane puppy around 6 to 9 months. He liked me too much.🙃 They really don't know how big they are and need a lot of training. I still enjoyed him.
You have your job cut out for you the next few weeks. Giving them a good healthy start. God bless you for trying.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I must admit…Petra has flattened me onto the ground a couple times. The first time I ended up with an ER visit and a staple in my scalp. (A week later my vet took out the staple for me! 🤣) She is very strong, and like you said, she has no idea how strong. But we're working on that, and she is improving.
She is very sweet and loving once she knows you, but quite protective up til then.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
For those with experience, @zovick and others...
Petra has only allowed the pups to nurse for 3-4 minutes 2-3x/day for at least a week now. She is badly scratched and bitten by the puppies to the point that when she gets away from them she is bleeding.

Yesterday the vet saw her and told me she needs to stop feeding them. Today she has not wanted to see the babies at all other than glance at them over the baby gate.

My question...can she stop lactating cold turkey? Is there risk of infection or anything? Should I try to "milk" her? Or will it all just dry up if she refuses to go to them?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Petra has only allowed the pups to nurse for 3-4 minutes 2-3x/day for at least a week now. She is badly scratched and bitten by the puppies to the point that when she gets away from them she is bleeding.

Yesterday the vet saw her and told me she needs to stop feeding them. Today she has not wanted to see the babies at all other than glance at them over the baby gate.

My question...can she stop lactating cold turkey? Is there risk of infection or anything? Should I try to "milk" her? Or will it all just dry up if she refuses to go to them?
I’ll defer to others about stopping cold turkey I think you can do it but certainly the people who are breeders can answer better. I will say with my rescue group we put them in onsies to prevent dogs from nursing, or as we indicate “the milk bar is closed. “ i’m not sure if her regular T-shirt will work for her for that purpose or not but maybe.

@zovick @wellington

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Have you cut the tips off the pups' toenails?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
As long as the puppies are old enough to not nurse any more then yes, you can let her stop. She should just dry up. They probably aren't getting enough from her now and that's why they are clawing and biting.
This is a good point and I know is an issue in some of the cat rescue groups o work with. With a so many pups and giant ones at that it makes sense