OMG...what have I done??!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
This is the very first time to see this thread...it made me cry...I am going to copy this and show it to my son...I am old as hell and live alone with 4 tortoises, 9 box turtles, 13 parakeets, a water turtle and 3 cats, all of whom are young and will out-live me and I see the very same thing happening to my animals...awful

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Another update on the puppies!

All 9 of them are doing very well!..they are 5 weeks old today. 🎂

They walk, trot, and run...though running is a tad dangerous because of getting their feet mixed up and falling on their faces. They have grown much bigger; this is what you do with a 9 x 13" baking dish when finished eating.
View attachment 365485

View attachment 365486

And these were taken a week ago!..Now she hangs over the edges of the dish.

Today they went outside for the first time! Most of them never got off the porch, and the 2 that did stayed within 2 feet of it.

Being outside is hungry work, so a little later was this.
View attachment 365487
And then this.
View attachment 365488

What a joy they are!
OMG! SO cute!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My brother's little mini poodle is about to have puppies. I feel so sorry for her and hope she does well. Especially since I have my dibs in for one of them if I think I can raise a baby.🤗 I've asked him to tell me when she has them but I'm not sure he knows how serious I truely am.🤗

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
They are so cute! Did you find homes for them? Are you keeping one?
No, I don't have homes for all of them yet. I will keep them until they are 8-9 weeks old, and then they'll be ready for new homes.

A few of them, 3 or 4, do have homes to go to. I am hoping to keep one, but haven't decided for sure yet. That would put me at 4 dogs...a chihuahua/pom mix who is 14, a siberian husky/german shepherd mix who is around 6 or 7, the mom of the puppies who is a great dane who just turned 2, and the puppy, who will grow to be huge. That's a lot of dog for 1 person to try to keep fed well, up to date with vaccines, heartworm preventative, and flea/tick control, and to keep entertained and out of mischief, especially in the summer when it's over 120° here.

But with that said, there is 1 of them that I cry when I even imagine someone driving off with him 😢. I'll just have to wait and see how their personalities develop over the next couple weeks. I need a couch potato type pup who wants to snuggle, not an Ironman athlete!😉

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the very first time to see this thread...it made me cry...I am going to copy this and show it to my son...I am old as hell and live alone with 4 tortoises, 9 box turtles, 13 parakeets, a water turtle and 3 cats, all of whom are young and will out-live me and I see the very same thing happening to my animals...awful
Maggie, managing all the pets was admittedly overwhelming while we didn't know if my friend was going to survive. But she did survive, and is now home, along with her fiance (another very long story). The final outcome for her pets actually worked out, and really has a happy ending. No pets were euthanized, a couple went to great new homes, others are being fostered until they go back home (I have her cockatoo who will go home probably next week), and the remainder were cared for by the group of us and her family in her home. What looked bleak in the beginning ended up being better than ever expected.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Maggie, managing all the pets was admittedly overwhelming while we didn't know if my friend was going to survive. But she did survive, and is now home, along with her fiance (another very long story). The final outcome for her pets actually worked out, and really has a happy ending. No pets were euthanized, a couple went to great new homes, others are being fostered until they go back home (I have her cockatoo who will go home probably next week), and the remainder were cared for by the group of us and her family in her home. What looked bleak in the beginning ended up being better than ever expected.
Wow...what a great story...you are wonderful for doing that...just great!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No, I don't have homes for all of them yet. I will keep them until they are 8-9 weeks old, and then they'll be ready for new homes.

A few of them, 3 or 4, do have homes to go to. I am hoping to keep one, but haven't decided for sure yet. That would put me at 4 dogs...a chihuahua/pom mix who is 14, a siberian husky/german shepherd mix who is around 6 or 7, the mom of the puppies who is a great dane who just turned 2, and the puppy, who will grow to be huge. That's a lot of dog for 1 person to try to keep fed well, up to date with vaccines, heartworm preventative, and flea/tick control, and to keep entertained and out of mischief, especially in the summer when it's over 120° here.

But with that said, there is 1 of them that I cry when I even imagine someone driving off with him 😢. I'll just have to wait and see how their personalities develop over the next couple weeks. I need a couch potato type pup who wants to snuggle, not an Ironman athlete!😉
My brother has puppies coming soon. The mom is a tiny silver haired poodle that thinks she's his wife. The father is a **** zoo 😜 I might try one of the puppies. I really want to. It's the size I want.. it even has Pomeranian in it which is another breed I like...but Danes are nice too. I just don't want a dog that's bigger than me 🙃 the one I had had a blast getting me down and licking my face. At my age I don't have that much energy.😊

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow...what a great story...you are wonderful for doing that...just great!!!
Thanks Maggie, but the real heroes are the 2 men, a father/adult son pair. We always had 2 people to feed/handle the dogs...early on we all agreed that for safety, no one would ever care for these dogs alone. The dogs have not been house pets...they are willing to be friendly, but really don't know how. They were breeders, so of course none of the 4 adult females or 2 adult males were neutered/spayed. This caused a lot of fighting when one of the females came into heat. She would try to kill the other females if given a chance, and the males would fight each other for the female. There was a lot of kennel juggling in the beginning with 3 kennels for 6 dogs.

But the son and dad did most of the dog handling. Then when the dad went to Mexico for a few weeks, the son and either me or the other woman helping would assist in feeding the dogs twice a day. They were a wild bunch at first, but after some time most of them settled down at least a little bit.

He's the hero...he was there 2-3 x/day, every day, for 3.5 MONTHS! I am so honored to call these people my friends!l

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My brother has puppies coming soon. The mom is a tiny silver haired poodle that thinks she's his wife. The father is a **** zoo 😜 I might try one of the puppies. I really want to. It's the size I want.. it even has Pomeranian in it which is another breed I like...but Danes are nice too. I just don't want a dog that's bigger than me 🙃 the one I had had a blast getting me down and licking my face. At my age I don't have that much energy.😊
Petra is a handful for me. She pulls, and I end up on my face in the dirt. :mad: We're working on it...she is not going to continue with that. If I keep a puppy, he/she will learn early on that yanking and lunging are not acceptable.

Have fun when you get your new puppy!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Petra is a handful for me. She pulls, and I end up on my face in the dirt. :mad: We're working on it...she is not going to continue with that. If I keep a puppy, he/she will learn early on that yanking and lunging are not acceptable.

Have fun when you get your new puppy!
I'm planning on keeping her in the living room with a cardboard playpen similar to what I do for my bunnies. While house training. It makes them feel safer anyway so that's what I'll do. I'm going to use a boot tray to help with paper training. With a shower curtain under the playpen and blankets covering that. And amenities 😉 food water and toys plus a place to hide 😁

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm planning on keeping her in the living room with a cardboard playpen similar to what I do for my bunnies. While house training. It makes them feel safer anyway so that's what I'll do. I'm going to use a boot tray to help with paper training. With a shower curtain under the playpen and blankets covering that. And amenities 😉 food water and toys plus a place to hide 😁
It's good to bring them into your bedroom at night (at least that's what I've always done. You don't have to let them in your bed. But inviting them into your "den" helps them bond and feel safe and part of your pack.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's good to bring them into your bedroom at night (at least that's what I've always done. You don't have to let them in your bed. But inviting them into your "den" helps them bond and feel safe and part of your pack.
I agree. My puppy will be with me as much as possible including my bed if she needs it.. I just have to understand what she needs as far as vaccines, vet visits, food and that kind of stuff. I intend to get her young around 6 weeks. I've papertrained a young litter of puppies once and my method worked even though they were only a few weeks old. I think one of my brother's soon to be born puppies will be a wonderful addition to our family.🙃🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I agree. My puppy will be with me as much as possible including my bed if she needs it.. I just have to understand what she needs as far as vaccines, vet visits, food and that kind of stuff. I intend to get her young around 6 weeks. I've papertrained a young litter of puppies once and my method worked even though they were only a few weeks old. I think one of my brother's soon to be born puppies will be a wonderful addition to our family.🙃🤗

Unsolicited weigh in here - I would be cautious of taking it away from the mom that young, I would leave it with the mom for 8 weeks if you can.

I've been quiet during this thread because as an avid rescuer I actually find intentional breeding mixed breed dogs really heartbreaking, but that's not what this thread is about...

But that said, many dogs are orphaned by that age so it can be fine, but if you have the opportunity for them to get "natural" socialization and training from the mom, I would highly recommend that for as long as possible. I am sure there are some benefits to earlier separation, but overall I would never choose to do it by choice.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Unsolicited weigh in here - I would be cautious of taking it away from the mom that young, I would leave it with the mom for 8 weeks if you can.

I've been quiet during this thread because as an avid rescuer I actually find intentional breeding mixed breed dogs really heartbreaking, but that's not what this thread is about...

But that said, many dogs are orphaned by that age so it can be fine, but if you have the opportunity for them to get "natural" socialization and training from the mom, I would highly recommend that for as long as possible. I am sure there are some benefits to earlier separation, but overall I would never choose to do it by choice.
Thank you. I will truely consider that idea. My brother is going to let me watch the puppies from birth and I'll be picking one. Then I'll be taking her home when I feel the need to. Also, I really like the mini poodle and Pomeranian mix of what's about to be born. That's what I need in a dog for me to even have one. If I think she needs to come home I'll do it. If not I'll wait for her weaning.🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you. I will truely consider that idea. My brother is going to let me watch the puppies from birth and I'll be picking one. Then I'll be taking her home when I feel the need to. Also, I really like the mini poodle and Pomeranian mix of what's about to be born. That's what I need in a dog for me to even have one. If I think she needs to come home I'll do it. If not I'll wait for her weaning.🤗
How do you know any will be girls?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I REALLY agree with @SinLA here. There is so much that puppies learn from mom and siblings from 6 to 8 weeks. It's an important socialization time for them. Also, as I recently learned, 8 weeks is the perfect time for puppies to form the closest bond with humans. I had been planning to keep my pups until 12 weeks, until I was educated re' 8 weeks.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I REALLY agree with @SinLA here. There is so much that puppies learn from mom and siblings from 6 to 8 weeks. It's an important socialization time for them. Also, as I recently learned, 8 weeks is the perfect time for puppies to form the closest bond with humans. I had been planning to keep my pups until 12 weeks, until I was educated re' 8 weeks.
I can see that. When they are finally able to by development get around great .