OMG What is This???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
So I soaked my RF Jerry Lee who is doing a lot better after his RI when I came home this afternoon. While I was holding him (resting in my palm) I felt his chest "rattle"...kind of like when I am at the end of a sinus infection. He also pooped out something (I guess because it was on the towel after drying him off) that looked like a grayish string of mucus. After being so happy he is making strides, I dont want a set back. Is this an indication he is getting worse, even though his behavior seems otherwise??????

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tortadise said:
Did the vet do a swab at all? Can you get a photo of the excrement?

The last time I saw the vet was two weeks ago for his last injection. No, he did not take a swab-he did a fecal (which was negative)-it literally looks like a slimy, clear string of mucous with a gray hue. He ate half a strawberry for breakfast today and the day before ate some spring mix (very little)-and he had baby food in his soak (sweet potato). I am unable to post pics from my home for some reason-I normally post from work. I was really concerned about the rattling? I just assumed the poo was a product of a funky eating pattern.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hmmmm. I would get a swab of the mucus on his eyes or mouth and have the vet send off for possible bacterial pseudamonas or pneumonitis. But RI typically can have a range of odd behavior symptoms. Did the waste look like a urate just nasty or nothing like a urate? Seeing that he hasnt eaten consistent his bowels are going to be off. Especially with "treat" foods given just to get him to eat. Is he responding to the better enclosure?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tortadise said:
Hmmmm. I would get a swab of the mucus on his eyes or mouth and have the vet send off for possible bacterial pseudamonas or pneumonitis. But RI typically can have a range of odd behavior symptoms. Did the waste look like a urate just nasty or nothing like a urate? Seeing that he hasnt eaten consistent his bowels are going to be off. Especially with "treat" foods given just to get him to eat. Is he responding to the better enclosure?

Thats just it-his eyes are open and clear and there is no runny nose. Like I said, his behavior has improved 80% in the last two days... And please don't laugh I am still learning-what is a urate? it really just looked like a stringy booger (sorry). And with the slight rattle I was hoping maybe that was a sign stuff was clearing up and moving out. :( And yes he is responding well to the hospital tank. He goes and hides under his little plant rather than being passed out all day under the Powersun.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No problem. A urate is a white chalky excrement from tortoises. It looks like a clumped sometimes watery white fecal matter. Too much sugar or glucose in tortoises can result in inadequate utilized calcium for digeation of certain foods. So too much sugar usually causes over active excretement of urates. If he is doing that much better let it be. Sounds like he is expelling the lingered food matter in his gut.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
tortadise said:
No problem. A urate is a white chalky excrement from tortoises. It looks like a clumped sometimes watery white fecal matter. Too much sugar or glucose in tortoises can result in inadequate utilized calcium for digeation of certain foods. So too much sugar usually causes over active excretement of urates. If he is doing that much better let it be. Sounds like he is expelling the lingered food matter in his gut.

whew! So should I just keep the day and night warmth and the warm humidifior going? I am beginning to think maybe the "rattling" I felt thru the shell was him moving his legs in and out? I am glad I am not embarassed to ask some really dumb sounding questions!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It is likely that is just urates, which is the tortoise version of pee. Torts are designed to conserve water and so they create pee that is very viscous. It will often have a white or grayish clear type of appearance. The gurgle could simply have been gurgling in his bowels(yes tortoises pass gas) I say that unless he has any other signs of recurring respiratory infection he is just trying to get normalized. Soak him to help replenish the lost hydration, and feed him only his normal diet (no treats right now). Then watch him closely for a couple of days.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
kanalomele said:
It is likely that is just urates, which is the tortoise version of pee. Torts are designed to conserve water and so they create pee that is very viscous. It will often have a white or grayish clear type of appearance. The gurgle could simply have been gurgling in his bowels(yes tortoises pass gas) I say that unless he has any other signs of recurring respiratory infection he is just trying to get normalized. Soak him to help replenish the lost hydration, and feed him only his normal diet (no treats right now). Then watch him closely for a couple of days.

Thank you! I had resorted to strawberries to entice him to eat, so he will be back on his greens tomorrow.:)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Happy to help! After 20 years my russians still fascinate me, they are a great species.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Well Jerry Lee continues to show signs of improvement. He had his morning soak and eye drops then ate most of his breakfast of spring mix and yellow squash. Once he finishes eating, he heads for the back of the tank to snuggle under his plants. A few more questions:

1. How long should he remain in his hospital tank set up?

2. Even though the plastic tub is only 12 gallons, I put two temp gages-one in front, one in back, at substrate level. Under his basking light it is 90 degrees but the humidity has dropped to 50%. In the back, the temp reads 80, but the humidity says its between 80-90 percent.

Thoughts/advice? As far as I am concerned this forum has saved my boy, so I will do whatever y'all think is necessary.

BTW...I know MildredsMommy is a mouthful. My actual name is Roxanne :D

Status
Not open for further replies.