Omg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Omg. I just looked at my homeana hingeback eggs and there is 2 hatching. Talk about high heart rate, mine has just gone through the roof.

I did not expect this at all. The incubation method was stick them in coir covered with moss and leave them in a tub on top of vivarium. There was no room in my incubator. Temps have varied between 24°c and 28°c . I sprayed the moss twice a week and replace the lid loosely.
6 days ago I moved them into the incubator(now got room) where it is 29.5°c.
I have no spare enclosure, need to make something quick.
Just remembered, old lady next door gave me a fish tank the other day when I was helping clean her carp pond.
Moved moss for the photo.

Need to calm down. :D

IMG_20160526_185308.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
LOL, you sound like me when my one and only leopard egg hatched. I was leaving for the weekend and not prepared at all. It hatched earlier then it was suppose too.
Keep calm, they will wait till you get it done. Btw, congrats
Awwww!!! Congratulations, Papa!!!!! You're really cracking! From zero to what? 4 now?:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok, the initial shock has ebbed away. I've moved them into a separate container within the incubator. Although I'm wondering if I should put the eggs back on top of the vivarium in the tort room.
I'll make an enclosure tomorrow.
IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1188.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats. The little one are su cute.

Again, Congrats! ! !

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Both are completely out already. I checked these eggs yesterday and there were no signs of a pip, So I'm assuming they have gone from pip to out of the egg in 1 day. They look much bigger than the redfoot hatchlings too.

Rue

Canada
Do all the babies have that toothed edge to their plastron? I don't see it in photos of adults...unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do all the babies have that toothed edge to their plastron? I don't see it in photos of adults...unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).
Yes, they are serrated at first with no hinge, the hinge takes about 2 yrs apparently.

Just looked this morning and there is a 3rd hatching from same clutch of 4.

Reactions: Rue

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is so exciting! Congrats!!

(I'm sending a shout-out to @Jacqui so she can live with the green-eyed monster for a while)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My favorite part of hatching these guys was their cute serration. Congrats!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My favorite part of hatching these guys was their cute serration. Congrats!
I agree, these are certainly fascinating.

So far I've observed they have no egg tooth, seems to be they pip with the sharp beak, then gradually unfold, it looks to me as they unfold the serrations break the rest of the egg. From pip to out of the egg has been about 24hrs. The egg sack has almost been absorbed within the 2nd 24hr period. So pip to egg sack virtually absorbed has taken 48hrs on the first 2. The 3rd that pipped some time last night is nearly out of the egg.
They also have extremely long nails, maybe to aid egg exit or maybe for instant climbing abilities.
Look at the hatchling size compared to the egg size.
IMG_20160527_193130.jpg IMG_20160527_193038.jpg IMG_20160527_192941.jpg IMG_20160527_193024.jpg