Location (City and/or State)
UK
Congratulations Craig - fantastic news!
They are all so beautiful too.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, this morning I thought I'll see how a few small slugs go down, it ended up more like a food fight, these guys turn into psychos when live food is on the plate. It looks to me like they fight over the food and protect what they already have. I'll have to keep an eye on things. This morning I saw ramming aswell as biting for the foods.
To calm things down I thought, I'll put some isopods in, it sort of calmed them down, it kept them occupied following the isopods about instead of trying to get each other's food.
Slugs gone and living isopods hidden away they all calmed down and returned to the plate for mushrooms.
Can't wait for tomorrows episode. Fascinated

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Well, this morning I thought I'll see how a few small slugs go down, it ended up more like a food fight, these guys turn into psychos when live food is on the plate. It looks to me like they fight over the food and protect what they already have. I'll have to keep an eye on things. This morning I saw ramming aswell as biting for the foods.
To calm things down I thought, I'll put some isopods in, it sort of calmed them down, it kept them occupied following the isopods about instead of trying to get each other's food.
Slugs gone and living isopods hidden away they all calmed down and returned to the plate for mushrooms.
Can't wait for tomorrows episode. Fascinated
Too funny!!!! My babies love their protein too, especially Tucker.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
OMGosh!!! I've never seen the whole process of baby torts breaking out of the eggs! They are all so cute! Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing!

Onidara

I love hingebacks. My tortoise was one had him for 18 years till my mother lost him in the garden when I was in Afghanistan. It's nice to see babies in place of wild caught.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well blow me down.

Number 1 is hatching. That's 4 from 4.
So. 3&4 took 130days, 2 took 132days and number 1 took 148days(assuming he's out tomorrow) . Thats 18days difference within the same clutch.
Seems this girl drops every 2 months. I've got another clutch of 3(was 4 but but found one rotten a couple of days ago) and yesterday she layed another clutch of only 2.
These 2 went straight into incubator with a clutch of 3 from a different female without any diapause. Temp at 29°c/84.2f. If I keep seeing failures, then I'll know this diapause thing is essential. So hopefully by this time next year I should know the route I want to take to incubate these guys.IMG_20160612_104703.jpg

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not sure how much more of this my heart can take.:p

Just found another 2 hatching, numbers 6 and 8.
So to recap.
Numbers 1,2,3 and 4 from a clutch of 4 hatched.
Numbers 5 and 6 from a clutch of 3 hatched/ing
Number 8 from a clutch of 3 hatching.
Number 8 is from a very nicely patterned female so we will see if the hatchling follows suit. This one took 124days.
Mmmm, is it a fluke that 3 from 3 different clutches are hatching on the same day. (148,140 and 124 days).

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just got home from work and those last 3 are out. One managed to get out of the tub in the incubator again. Amazes how good they are at climbing. I'll need to use a tub with sides 3" high in future.
Also got another hatching(number 9).
See if 7&10 pip over the next few days.
download_20160613_185032.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, got home from work today to find 7&10 Pipping.
So that's 3 clutches with 4, 3, and 3 egg from 3 different females with 100% hatch rate. 10 hatchlings in total. Still got 15 eggs in incubator but first clutches are about 2 months away. The 1st clutch is the 4th female I have, be interesting to see if she is producing fertile eggs.
I'll finish up this thread with a photo of all 10 when the egg sacks are all absorbed.
It sure is fun and full of surprises this tortoising malarkey thing. Love it.

Oh yeah, another surprise today when I got home, my big northern redfoot laid a clutch of 9. :D.