OMG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
emysemys said:
Another one hatched yesterday and another today. Do you realize that this is over 6 months incubating? for leopard eggs??? Everything about this clutch is amazing! Too bad the babies are just normal-looking.

For us, 6 months is average. We have some in our incubator that just passed the 6 month mark. They still look good.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Neal said:
For us, 6 months is average. We have some in our incubator that just passed the 6 month mark. They still look good.

Cool. I have heard of eggs hatching at the 13 month mark but never experienced more than 5months. It's good to know not to give up on them. Do you (Neal and/or Yvonnne) cool your eggs post laying? Or pop them right in the incubator?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We have very poor hatch rates with the ones we put in the incubator. Next year we are going to try to cool them off a bit before placing them in the incubator.

We left most of our clutches in the ground this year, I don't expect them to hatch out until the monsoons start in the summer. By then, they will have been in the ground for over a year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoise dug a hole and deposited eggs that I didn't see. Then, who knows how much later, she again dug a hole...in the same spot as the first one, only slightly to one side. I saw this one. When she was finished, and I started digging them up, I found two cavities with eggs. I put all the eggs (I think there were a total of 27) in the same bowl, so I don't know which had been in the ground for a while.

Since I've been playing with my new incubator, I've come to realize that the thermometers I've been using for my Little Giants are a bit on the cool side. So even though I thought I was incubating the leopard eggs at 86F degrees, I think it was actually a bit cooler. Maybe even 3 or 4 degrees cooler.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well the two clutches explains the month difference in hatching times some what.

Status
Not open for further replies.