One of The Worst Cases Of MetabolicBone Disease

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
A lady reached out for help, saying that her "tortoise shell was soft." And a plethora of other things. She claims that a bird dropped it from the sky when it was a baby and it was already "deformed " I'm 100% sure this isn't a deformity, but neglect. She says she's been having it for ten years and it always been like this. Just shows the importance of proper nutrition, sanitary living environment and proper lighting. I always try to be polite, because some people just don't know, but this is pretty severe for a three toed. I want this to be an example as to not be cheap with your animals, sacrifice, spend a lil to get your animals what they need, find cheap alternatives that work. I'm not bashing this lady in any way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-063859_craigslist.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-063859_craigslist.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20220114-153034_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153034_Messages.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220114-153042_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153042_Messages.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220114-153055_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153055_Messages.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20220114-153105_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153105_Messages.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20220114-153111_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153111_Messages.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20220114-153118_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-153118_Messages.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 37

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
That is... horrific. Can the tort be helped, or should he be euthanised? That is really... horrible
The crazy part is that I've never seen this in box turtles.. it can't even close its shell.I don't think it needs to be euthanized, but it has to be suffering. With the shell, the damage is done, but maybe with years of proper care it can improve. Turtles are resilient and live for years, but I'm surprised it's still alive.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Do you think Yvonne or Maggie might know what to do? To be honest, this entire case seems really weird. Perhaps Zenherper can help?
The outer rim bent up, the inner side collapsed, that is really extreme, and you say MBD doesn't usually happen in turtles?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Do you think Yvonne or Maggie might know what to do? To be honest, this entire case seems really weird. Perhaps Zenherper can help?
The outer rim bent up, the inner side collapsed, that is really extreme, and you say MBD doesn't usually happen in turtles?
No it does. I'm saying I haven't seen it in a box turtle before. If she responds I may take it in.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is terrible. That turtle wasn't born like that, that's what 10 years of improper care looks like, sad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is the worst case I have seen.
I played turtle taxi delivery for a friend, delivering her rescued boxies to a person that was going to take them in another state. I thought they were bad. Nothing like this one.
I too am surprised it survived this long.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
This is terrible. That turtle wasn't born like that, that's what 10 years of improper care looks like, sad.
Yeah
That is the worst case I have seen.
I played turtle taxi delivery for a friend, delivering her rescued boxies to a person that was going to take them in another state. I thought they were bad. Nothing like this one.
I too am surprised it survived this long.
I have a turtle that ws born deformed and it looks nothing like that.

Attachments

• 20220115_115649.jpg
    20220115_115649.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 15

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, this one is bad. The one I taxied for I believe has deformities due to care neglect. That's why my friend had them, she rescued them. Her health got bad so she found them a home.
If I can find their pics I will post them .

Last edited:

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
No, the one I taxied for I believe has deformities due to care neglect. That's why my friend had them, she rescued them. Her health got bad so she found them a home.
If I can find their pics I will post them .
Oh I know what you meant. I was just comparing a real deformity to the neglect of the box turtle. And please do share.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen some pretty badly deformed turtles and tortoises, but I have to admit, this poor box turtle is the worst! They don't live very long, but they seem to do ok with proper care. I don't think they are in any pain, and don't realize they're any different than normal.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I've seen some pretty badly deformed turtles and tortoises, but I have to admit, this poor box turtle is the worst! They don't live very long, but they seem to do ok with proper care. I don't think they are in any pain, and don't realize they're any different than normal.
I think I offended her somehow, but If she surrenders it to me, I'd do my best to give it a last few days, months, or years.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I honestly don't know for a fact. But my vet says that MBD is indeed very painful. And recently watching the Chameleon I had suffer from it, I'd tend to agree.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow guys, You folks are spectacular! Being honest, dunno if I'd have what it takes to care for something like that..........my caretaking skills with people are horrible........and while I like the guys that "have no chance" & the tripods and bipods.... that's just gross to me, sorry.

Matilda ....AND Kerry come to think of it, better stay healthy for a long, long time! lol

I joke when my gut takes a jolt.....its what I do.....I can't even look at those pictures.

Now you know where my bar is......but I give you all credit for being able to do what I likely could not. It is humbling.