Open top enclosure advise

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
Man, you are doing a great job. So many things done right now!

Here are my thoughts:
1. Raise the CHE up a bit and move it over to one side. Then add a second CHE (the 150) on the other side and run it through the same thermostat. This will more evenly distribute the heat all over the whole enclosure, and the thermostat will keep things from getting too hot.
2. The bark will smell strongest when its brand new out of the package. Within a week or two, its hardly noticeable.
3. The chain of zip ties for your UV tube shows ingenuity. What you will learn in a few weeks or months is that plastic zip ties degrade and break over time. If one side drops, it could break your expensive UV bulb. I don't think its a big fire hazard, but we don't want it down in the enclosure or broken. When you have time, replace those with something longer lasting and stronger. They sell sash chain and other light weight chains at Home Depot by the foot. They will even cut it to length for you if you don't have your own cutters at home.
4. Add a flat rock of some sort directly under the basking lamp. This keeps the nails filed down a bit, allows safe belly heat for the tortoise, and helps hold and disperse heat all around it better.
5. When you go to Home Depot, pick up four of their 6 inch Terra cotta saucers. One for food and one for water, plus a spare for each. They only cost a couple of bucks. Sink two of them deep into the substrate so that the rim is almost level with the substrate. You can replace the bowls periodically and clean the used ones at your leisure.

You are creating a great tortoise environment there. Once you are all done, things will run smoothly and all you'll have left to do is feed your tortoise daily and enjoy your new pet while he grows into a beautiful healthy adult.
Yes, I second what Tom, and others have said, Looks great and you'll see that it will be so much easier to control the temp and humidity this way. Just remember you'll need to add water to the substrate occasionally to keep it moist inside the tent....Good Job.?:tort:

smr1014

Crystal Lake, IL
Man, you are doing a great job. So many things done right now!

Here are my thoughts:
1. Raise the CHE up a bit and move it over to one side. Then add a second CHE (the 150) on the other side and run it through the same thermostat. This will more evenly distribute the heat all over the whole enclosure, and the thermostat will keep things from getting too hot.
2. The bark will smell strongest when its brand new out of the package. Within a week or two, its hardly noticeable.
3. The chain of zip ties for your UV tube shows ingenuity. What you will learn in a few weeks or months is that plastic zip ties degrade and break over time. If one side drops, it could break your expensive UV bulb. I don't think its a big fire hazard, but we don't want it down in the enclosure or broken. When you have time, replace those with something longer lasting and stronger. They sell sash chain and other light weight chains at Home Depot by the foot. They will even cut it to length for you if you don't have your own cutters at home.
4. Add a flat rock of some sort directly under the basking lamp. This keeps the nails filed down a bit, allows safe belly heat for the tortoise, and helps hold and disperse heat all around it better.
5. When you go to Home Depot, pick up four of their 6 inch terra cotta saucers. One for food and one for water, plus a spare for each. They only cost a couple of bucks. Sink two of them deep into the substrate so that the rim is almost level with the substrate. You can replace the bowls periodically and clean the used ones at your leisure.

You are creating a great tortoise environment there. Once you are all done, things will run smoothly and all you'll have left to do is feed your tortoise daily and enjoy your new pet while he grows into a beautiful healthy adult.
Thank you very much for all the help. Couldnt done it without all the help from you guys!

1. Yes sir, I do have a flat rock that I usually put under the basking light. I washed it yesterday and put it back this morning.

2 The zip tie is temp cause thats all I have yesterday and been busy and messy in my apartment that I want to finish it up to clean ?

3. I do need more terra cotta saucer. I have 2 but I use one for my hermmi and its kinda small. Need to get a bigger one.

4. So should I reduce 1 ambient light and just change it to CHE? I still need to get a thermostat. Right now im just constantly checking the temp with thermometer.

Next will be my Hermmi’s she doing fine atm, eating good. I rotate from greens and mizuri tort diet mashed and I add some repashy to the mix for extra vits and flavor. Shes loving it, will get to her soon but i think she is doing well atm.

smr1014

Crystal Lake, IL
Yes, I second what Tom, and others have said, Looks great and you'll see that it will be so much easier to control the temp and humidity this way. Just remember you'll need to add water to the substrate occasionally to keep it moist inside the tent....Good Job.?:tort:
Thank you!! Got it. Ill probably spray the substrate with water every other day depending on my humidity reading.

smr1014

Crystal Lake, IL
Hi Guys!!

I just order a thermostat and I have a question. Where do I stick the probe and is this thermostat okay?

Attachments

• 14D5A83C-B85F-4251-9DBB-7F603BEB1430.png
    14D5A83C-B85F-4251-9DBB-7F603BEB1430.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 0

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I simply pour water over the substrate...it's very good to see you improving your habitat....good job!

smr1014

Crystal Lake, IL
I simply pour water over the substrate...it's very good to see you improving your habitat....good job!
Thats what I do too. But I see that the humidity is much higher if I sprayed that pouring water or maybe its just taking a while for the water to evaporate