Opinion’s please

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
That is the equivalent of getting medical advice from webMD.
Or if you are a car person asking what type of oil is best for your engine.
Going to a seafood restaurant and ordering a burger and fries.
Lol I agree believe me!🤣first thing he does is pop on Google to try and confirm some of the information the pet shop tells him and then that’s what comes up!
Which then leaves me scrambling for a quick bit of info to show him it’s not accurate, makes me look just as bad tbh😂it’s really hard sometimes to go into the research I’ve done though, without sounding like I’m being super intrusive and over the top, it’s such a fine balance😣
Very frustrating situation when it’s not your pet, but you’ve grown attached enough to want the best for them😣I’m the kind of person that would tell someone to take a gold fish out of a tiny bowl😂I get it can come across annoying😣I just genuinely can’t help it once I have that awareness they aren’t in the right environment😣it niggles away at me!🥲

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Lol I agree believe me!🤣first thing he does is pop on Google to try and confirm some of the information the pet shop tells him and then that’s what comes up!
Which then leaves me scrambling for a quick bit of info to show him it’s not accurate, makes me look just as bad tbh😂it’s really hard sometimes to go into the research I’ve done though, without sounding like I’m being super intrusive and over the top, it’s such a fine balance😣
Very frustrating situation when it’s not your pet, but you’ve grown attached enough to want the best for them😣I’m the kind of person that would tell someone to take a gold fish out of a tiny bowl😂I get it can come across annoying😣I just genuinely can’t help it once I have that awareness they aren’t in the right environment😣it niggles away at me!🥲
Lol, this is probably the American in me but sometimes you just got to B#$$%^slap them and tell them to pull their head out of their rectum. 🤣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Lol, this is probably the American in me but sometimes you just got to B#$$%^slap them and tell them to pull their head out of their rectum. 🤣
Haha😂it can be very difficult keeping a lid on it sometimes, I’m very frustrated after what seemed like a breakthrough with everything set in place. I just know I need to keep my cool, the more I’m pushed out, I fear the smaller she’ll end up in😣

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can try to explain why those too small of enclosures will house the tortoise but then he, owner, needs to go live permanently in the bathroom.
Housing a tortoise in an enclosure that is too small can and will cause muscle and walking problems, digestion problems and defecating problems, along with many other problems.
If this was only for winter and the tortoise had a big yard to live in for summer, it would be more doable, still too small, but a bit more doable with a large summer space waiting for it.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You can try to explain why those too small of enclosures will house the tortoise but then he, owner, needs to go live permanently in the bathroom.
Housing a tortoise in an enclosure that is too small can and will cause muscle and walking problems, digestion problems and defecating problems, along with many other problems.
If this was only for winter and the tortoise had a big yard to live in for summer, it would be more doable, still too small, but a bit more doable with a large summer space waiting for it.
I couldn’t bare to watch her deteriorate if he puts her in something too small, it would break my heart, idk what I’d be able to do for her at that point, she’d always weigh heavy on my mind😞

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I couldn’t bare to watch her deteriorate if he puts her in something too small, it would break my heart, idk what I’d be able to do for her at that point, she’d always weigh heavy on my mind😞
I almost feel guilty in a way for bringing up the fact she needs upgrading because it’s obviously caused upset, that wasn’t my goal😞
He was ok keeping her in her 4 by 2 for another year which just seems a shame for her, she must be bored in that current size😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I would hope he would see why it's not a good idea.
I think he’s relying too heavily on some bad sources of information, he doesn’t understand it’s not fair on her and won’t see it as cruel, If he did, he wouldn’t want to think he’s mistreating her. I just don’t know how else to get through to him at this point unfortunately, I’m was nervous about a large upgrade when he was on board, now he’s not😣at this point if I manage to convince him to go larger and anything isn’t plain sailing, I’ll be getting the blame and we’ll be back at square one, it’s a lot of pressure when it’s someone else’s pet and money, I shouldn’t have took all this on tbh, but also found it impossible to look away😣she’s such a little sweetheart❤️

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I know it is not pretty but I bet if you set up the greenhouse and show him how well it works. He probably would be more interested. It is low cost and with Amazon if he doesn't like send it back.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I know it is not pretty but I bet if you set up the greenhouse and show him how well it works. He probably would be more interested. It is low cost and with Amazon if he doesn't like send it back.
Im worried regardless of the cost he won’t like that route but I can definitely put it to him, I’ll admit it makes me nervous because I’m not sure how a set up like that works and I know he doesn’t either, especially here in the uk with such cold temps, I’m not convinced it’ll hold enough heat in winter months. Least with her current style I know what factors we’re working with.
He would be relying on me for all the information on that style set up, which again is a lot of pressure, especially if I can’t apply the information to reach her requirements for whatever reason😣I’d be down for experimenting if I could afford it myself😣but I at least know he has knowledge of the style viv we were looking at if that makes sense😕

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Im worried regardless of the cost he won’t like that route but I can definitely put it to him, I’ll admit it makes me nervous because I’m not sure how a set up like that works and I know he doesn’t either, especially here in the uk with such cold temps, I’m not convinced it’ll hold enough heat in winter months. Least with her current style I know what factors we’re working with.
He would be relying on me for all the information on that style set up, which again is a lot of pressure, especially if I can’t apply the information to reach her requirements for whatever reason😣I’d be down for experimenting if I could afford it myself😣but I at least know he has knowledge of the style viv we were looking at if that makes sense😕
You could get the stuff and set it up at your place to work out the kinks then show him it works.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You could get the stuff and set it up at your place to work out the kinks then show him it works.
I would, I just don’t have the space to experiment with the size she needs(wouldn’t want to wing it with a different size than what we’d use to be sure)and Idk if I can afford the basics of what I’d need to see if it works, the CHEs alone can be pricey added up😣I don’t think I’d even know where to begin.. what base etc, it’d be like building something from scratch and I’m far from handy😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I would, I just don’t have the space to experiment with the size she needs(wouldn’t want to wing it with a different size than what we’d use to be sure)and Idk if I can afford the basics of what I’d need to see if it works, the CHEs alone can be pricey added up😣I don’t think I’d even know where to begin.. what base etc, it’d be like building something from scratch and I’m far from handy😣
Plus the brackets we have now wouldn’t work, I’d have to go buy another style, I think if I try and put to him there’s possibly another way that’s cheaper to set her up, he won’t see it as positive, it’ll be a whole other loop of information to digest😣I can put it to him either way, but I’m just prepared for it not to go down how I would hope😕

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Plus the brackets we have now wouldn’t work, I’d have to go buy another style, I think if I try and put to him there’s possibly another way that’s cheaper to set her up, he won’t see it as positive, it’ll be a whole other loop of information to digest😣I can put it to him either way, but I’m just prepared for it not to go down how I would hope😕
In my mind when everything was set for an 8 by 4, I figured maybe one day down the line I could go and get to grips with a smaller tent style extension on my own and present it to them if it went to plan, I would’ve had time to save and play about with it knowing she was set in her main viv, no pressure.
But I’d be too nervous going about a huge size like that all on my own, I have zero experience with this kind of thing, the pressure would be too much😞

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Buy me a plane ticket I'll be the bad guy and break it down for him. In a nice way. Not the method I mentioned earlier.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Buy me a plane ticket I'll be the bad guy and break it down for him. In a nice way. Not the method I mentioned earlier.
Lol😂through all off this frustrating situation you’re making me laugh😂I think I’d of given up on this situation weeks ago now if it wasn’t for you lot! I wish I could get squirt a plane ticket to you guys haha! I think she’d live it up in the states😅

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Lol😂through all off this frustrating situation you’re making me laugh😂I think I’d of given up on this situation weeks ago now if it wasn’t for you lot! I wish I could get squirt a plane ticket to you guys haha! I think she’d live it up in the states😅
I would Make the room for her for sure.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I would Make the room for her for sure.
I wish I could find her someone like @Anyfoot here in the uk😣I think her owner would be genuinely open to it if he knew she was going to someone dedicated, but what are the chances of someone like that coming along any time soon if ever😞

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
It would be in the house up off the floor. As long as they heat the house it will work.
We have had an Artic Freeze here and our temps fell as low as -15C colder with the windchill. I have two tortoises they each live in a greenhouse. The green house never once fell below 26C at night. They work great.

I would have loved to get a custom closed enclosure but the shipping to me was almost 1k for one of them on top of the enclosure cost. That is money better spent on improving other aspect of their lives.

Maybe after he has had time to get passed the overload of information you have gave him. Then maybe try to show him some pictures of the set ups from others on here. He might go for it. The best thing is he can set it up without moving the tortoise. Tweak things and see if he likes it. There are pictures of set-ups on here with the greenhouse.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It would be in the house up off the floor. As long as they heat the house it will work.
We have had an Artic Freeze here and our temps fell as low as -15C colder with the windchill. I have two tortoises they each live in a greenhouse. The green house never once fell below 26C at night. They work great.

I would have loved to get a custom closed enclosure but the shipping to me was almost 1k for one of them on top of the enclosure cost. That is money better spent on improving other aspect of their lives.

Maybe after he has had time to get passed the overload of information you have gave him. Then maybe try to show him some pictures of the set ups from others on here. He might go for it. The best thing is he can set it up without moving the tortoise. Tweak things and see if he likes it. There are pictures of set-ups on here with the greenhouse.
I believe with lots of trial and error we’d get it to work, it’s just whether he’s up for the challenge, I fear he isn’t😞she’d need moving either way to provide the space she needs, nothing bigger than a 6 foot length will fit where she is currently😕we were moving her upstairs to accommodate that, but at this rate she’s going to end up in a 6.. couldn’t even add onto her current one to cut cost😞he has his boa constrictor on top and the wood her current one is made of definitely isn’t going to last long term, I can put the greenhouse idea out there but I don’t see it going down how I’d hope unfortunately, I don’t know if he’d let us work together to figure it out. I’ll show photos tomorrow n see what he thinks depending where his head is at, I’m loosing hope again at this point though😕