Opinions on my bells hinge please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
Recently had a bells fall into my lap.
I've done alot of research on the sp, but I've been finding alot of contradicting info.
I've had a Red Foot for about 5 years, and have had no issues keeping up humidity (I live in Arizona) so I don't expect any issues with this sp
heres what I've got so far.
1.0 bells hingeback "bramble"

Heres Brambles enclosure.
its a 45 gallon tote, and measures 35"x20"x19".
the substrate is a cypress mulch/ peat moss mix to hold humidity.
i gave him 15" of substrate for burrowing.
The hide is half a plastic bowl, with a hole cut out, submerged in the substrate
the light is a 75 w that I only keep on for a couple hours after a spray.
his enclosure is positioned by a window with lots of sun for uvb.
He has a sepia bone for calcium and his beak.
todays menu consists of Mustard greens,Collard greens,Cantaloupe,Tomato,Mango, Mushrooms, and Earthworms. How's that for variety lol

opinions greatly appreciated
IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Brambles looks more like a Speke's hingeback, Kinixys spekii, than a Bell's, K.belliana, to me.

Everything looks fine, though being by a window will only give him heat. Window glass filters out almost all UV light.

What are your temperatures in the enclosure?

Danny

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
egyptiandan said:
Brambles looks more like a Speke's hingeback, Kinixys spekii, than a Bell's, K.belliana, to me.

Everything looks fine, though being by a window will only give him heat. Window glass filters out almost all UV light.

What are your temperatures in the enclosure?

Danny

well I'm unfamiliar with hingebacks, so it could very well be a specke's. Anything I should look for?

as far as the window its open most of the day so theres no glass, just a screen.

temp wise : ambient fluctuates between 80* and 83*, drops to 75*-78* at night
I keep a basking spot of 90*

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Looks good. BUT, having an enclosure near the window does NOT provide UV. It will not pass through the glass, and even a screen will reduce it greatly.

I am sure Miss Jacqui will be along with more information :) I have Hingebacks, but mine are Home's and I have no experience with Bells. My only suggestion would be to add more hides. What are your temperatures in the enclosure?

Both of you beat me to the punch, lol.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
kyryah said:
Looks good. BUT, having an enclosure near the window does NOT provide UV. It will not pass through the glass, and even a screen will reduce it greatly.

I am sure Miss Jacqui will be along with more information :) I have Hingebacks, but mine are Home's and I have no experience with Bells. My only suggestion would be to add more hides. What are your temperatures in the enclosure?

Both of you beat me to the punch, lol.

I adressed the temps int the previous post.
I have an extra T-rex (use em for my red foot) I can give bramble.
but from what I've read these torts do not like direct light of any kind... ?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is why I said you beat me to the punch - I was typing, Danny asked what your temps were and you replied before I hit enter.

As I said, I keep Home's, not this variety, so someone else will have to answer your question as far as UV. For my Home's, I use none. They get some when they are outside in the summer, but I don't supplement at all during the winter.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
kyryah said:
That is why I said you beat me to the punch - I was typing, Danny asked what your temps were and you replied before I hit enter.

As I said, I keep Home's, not this variety, so someone else will have to answer your question as far as UV. For my Home's, I use none. They get some when they are outside in the summer, but I don't supplement at all during the winter.

sorry, not familiar with the forum yet. I thought that was part of your sig lol

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The more grassland species and subspecies, Kinixys belliana belliana, K.b.zombensis, K.lobatsiana, K.natalensis, K.spekii, all like a bit more light than the forest species and subspecies.
So your bulb on 2 to 3 hours a day would be fine for him.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.