Opo 2.0

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Dang! It's hard to believe that cute little thing grew up to be such a huge armoured tank!!
7 years old and went from 44grams to 90lbs.
We weighed Opo yesterday. So in 9 months he went from 84lbs to 90lbs. I was expecting 100lbs. I changed his diet because if you remember. Opo passed that huge gallbladder stone. So I changed up his diet to 80% grazing. Mixed in with mazuri 2 times a week, cactus, hibiscus now and then, romaine lettuce, squash, turnip, zucchini.
I don't know if the diet change is the reason he didn't weigh 100lbs or he is slowing down his growth.
It has me a little concerned.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It's hard believe that little baby can grow so fast, can't believe it when I look at mine. They are supposed to be grazers, my eats everything like a pig.
When someone sees Opo for the first time. I show them this very first picture of him. They are always amazed.
received_3778539249041166.jpeg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Sammy was 6 in Dec. Weighing 71lbs. 46 grams at 10 weeks old. I weighed him on March 10th , he weighed 76lbs. Sammy also passed a stone on Jan. 27th. It had some firmness but not rock hard 27th. I was giving him too many collard greens, store bought. He is back on grass now and passing regularly urates.

Attachments

• 20240127_184010.jpg
    20240127_184010.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240127_184058.jpg
    20240127_184058.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Glad to see you 😊 I love the pictures.😘
Thanks Cathie, the last few months have been trying and then the other day. I was sitting on the ground messing with Opo. When getting back in my power chair. I lost my grip and injured my knee. Also hit my head hard. EMS took me to the hospital and I spent 2 days there. They wanted to make sure ok, because of my health. So now I have a brace for knee. When I put on the knee brace and then my prosthetic on the other leg. I definitely get looks from people. 😂

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sammy was 6 in Dec. Weighing 71lbs. 46 grams at 10 weeks old. I weighed him on March 10th , he weighed 76lbs. Sammy also passed a stone on Jan. 27th. It had some firmness but not rock hard 27th. I was giving him too many collard greens, store bought. He is back on grass now and passing regularly urates.
I guess I didn't post Opo's stone on this thread. This was around June or July. I would have to look back and see. But it definitely scared me. I really don't know how he passed it.
20230722_183024.jpg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I guess I didn't post Opo's stone on this thread. This was around June or July. I would have to look back and see. But it definitely scared me. I really don't know how he passed it.
View attachment 368355
I noticed Sammy wasn't passing any poo and urates for a couple of days, loaded him up with Aloe leaf and cactus pads. This may have help him pass it while soaking in a warm bath.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I noticed Sammy wasn't passing any poo and urates for a couple of days, loaded him up with Aloe leaf and cactus pads. This may have help him pass it while soaking in a warm bath.
About a week before Opo passed it. He pooped and then pee. After the pee Opo discharged quite a lot of blood. I had a appointment with my vet. But Opo passed the stone. Before the vet appointment. Still had x-rays done and she saw a spot that might be a little stone. I guess I think I will bring Opo in next week. Since I have my son and granddaughters visiting. My son will be able to help me get Opo in the van.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks Cathie, the last few months have been trying and then the other day. I was sitting on the ground messing with Opo. When getting back in my power chair. I lost my grip and injured my knee. Also hit my head hard. EMS took me to the hospital and I spent 2 days there. They wanted to make sure ok, because of my health. So now I have a brace for knee. When I put on the knee brace and then my prosthetic on the other leg. I definitely get looks from people. 😂
Looks of sympathy and admiration, I hope.
Angie

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Ray, Yes, we have to be careful. I'm in my upper 60's and am STILL quite active. As in my "Handle" I have quite a few kids to care for, I have begun to reexamine the "risks" I take that once were nothing. Now they are becoming something. In addition to my own kiss, I now have my ex-GF who has gone through her cancer treatments, 5 additional Parrots, and her dog to care for. We just need to be a lil more careful, but sometimes . . life gets in the way...Ray, Hope your knee heals quickly . .

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sorry that happened but I'm so glad you're getting taken care of 🤗 I'm a klutz too 🙃😁 but we keep surviving anyway. I think we're having too much fun to go yet. I hope the people that are watching are celebrating what they're looking at and it cheers their day up to see you getting around anyway. It should. We're all just human with one foot on a banana peel... the other in a hole ⛳💩😘

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Ray, Yes, we have to be careful. I'm in my upper 60's and am STILL quite active. As in my "Handle" I have quite a few kids to care for, I have begun to reexamine the "risks" I take that once were nothing. Now they are becoming something. In addition to my own kiss, I now have my ex-GF who has gone through her cancer treatments, 5 additional Parrots, and her dog to care for. We just need to be a lil more careful, but sometimes . . life gets in the way...Ray, Hope your knee heals quickly . .
Thanks, I am starting to learn my limits.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry that happened but I'm so glad you're getting taken care of 🤗 I'm a klutz too 🙃😁 but we keep surviving anyway. I think we're having too much fun to go yet. I hope the people that are watching are celebrating what they're looking at and it cheers their day up to see you getting around anyway. It should. We're all just human with one foot on a banana peel... the other in a hole ⛳💩😘
Ain't that the truth!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Tomorrow evening Opo has a appointment with the vet. He is worrying me. Won't come out of his box.
Well, Ray, you have had Opo for some time , (years) and he has been thriving. The chance that he picked something up I believe is possible but not probable. My Sulcata, PeeWee has a routine, but that being said, he does vary that routine occasionally, so I'm hoping that this is just a variation of his normal routine...🤞
🙏