Optimus Prime explores his new outdoor space.

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
Optimus Prime is finally checking out his outside space. I think he's pretty happy. He didn't stop exploring and showed no fear. He found one hiding spot under his ramp. Then off he went to check out the rest of the yard. At least I'm at the point he can be outside now and safe. Now to get plants in the ground and the canopy up for more shade.

I was really surprised he had no issues plowing through the plastic flaps to get inside the enclosure.

I hope the video works.

Attachments

• IMG_20240609_164518808_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240609_164518808_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240609_165959802.jpg
    IMG_20240609_165959802.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240609_165954985_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240609_165954985_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240609_165208582.jpg
    IMG_20240609_165208582.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240609_165157592_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240609_165157592_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240609_165022192.jpg
    IMG_20240609_165022192.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240609_164936150.jpg
    IMG_20240609_164936150.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240609_164547675.jpg
    IMG_20240609_164547675.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All that beautiful grass!!! Lovely.

Police up all those cords. They will bite into them or get tangled in them in ways you won't be able to comprehend.

I'd also add a low wall on the side of his ramp so he doesn't fall off and end up upside down in the sun.

Megatron's Mom

All that beautiful grass!!! Lovely.

Police up all those cords. They will bite into them or get tangled in them in ways you won't be able to comprehend.

I'd also add a low wall on the side of his ramp so he doesn't fall off and end up upside down in the sun.
I already added the second railing. The cord on the outside has been moved, it's now in the air. I didn't get time to dig the trench. I wasn't expecting Optimus to go inside. That surprised me. That cord will be taken care of tomorrow. I didn't leave his side, just to make sure no nibbles on the cords. He's back in his inside enclosure. I'll give him a few days to work on getting the rest secured before he is out there full time.

Megatron's Mom

New question for today. Optimus has been going outside everyday in his new outdoor yard. First just afternoons so the shade was there. Last night we put up a canopy to offer shade in the morning/early afternoon.(I ordered two shade sails)I brought him outside this morning and he's been going all over non-stop. Eating, walking through his water, going up and down his ramp, going inside his enclosure.

Now my question is that because he is stressed? Normally he sleeps a lot more but I guess that could have been due to boredom? I'm just worried I'm might be missing cues of stress. I think if it was stress he wouldn't eat or come out of hiding if it was stress, right?

ryan57

PA
New question for today. Optimus has been going outside everyday in his new outdoor yard. First just afternoons so the shade was there. Last night we put up a canopy to offer shade in the morning/early afternoon.(I ordered two shade sails)I brought him outside this morning and he's been going all over non-stop. Eating, walking through his water, going up and down his ramp, going inside his enclosure.

Now my question is that because he is stressed? Normally he sleeps a lot more but I guess that could have been due to boredom? I'm just worried I'm might be missing cues of stress. I think if it was stress he wouldn't eat or come out of hiding if it was stress, right?
Sounds happy exploring. I'm happy for you and... he's getting bigger. . .

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you, never thought I would worry so much lol
Charlie walks around his entire yard every day. I think he is patrolling to make sure there are no intruders. Also, when he grazes, he'll eat in a spot, then walk all the way across the yard to another spot, all day long, rather than doing it systematically.

That's amazing he isn't afraid of the flaps. It took Charlie a long time to get used to them. I had to hold them open for him sometimes. They don't stay clean and clear for long.

Megatron's Mom

Charlie walks around his entire yard every day. I think he is patrolling to make sure there are no intruders. Also, when he grazes, he'll eat in a spot, then walk all the way across the yard to another spot, all day long, rather than doing it systematically.

That's amazing he isn't afraid of the flaps. It took Charlie a long time to get used to them. I had to hold them open for him sometimes. They don't stay clean and clear for long.
That is funny. Optimus has been snacking all over the place but never for long, I guess he needs to test out all the types of grass.

It really blew my mind how he just plowed right through them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The great outdoors is generally more "stimulating" to our tortoises. Not only the extra space, grazing, and all of that sort of thing, but the UV and light spectrum and intensity is far superior to any indoor lighting that we provide. This true "full spectrum" intense sunlight stimulates them in ways we can't even imagine.

Generally speaking, when an animal is stressed, the appetite wanes or disappears. This would lead me to conclude that he is exploring the new territory and making a mental map of the new place. At the risk of a bit of anthropomorphism, I might even say he is enjoying himself.

Megatron's Mom

The great outdoors is generally more "stimulating" to our tortoises. Not only the extra space, grazing, and all of that sort of thing, but the UV and light spectrum and intensity is far superior to any indoor lighting that we provide. This true "full spectrum" intense sunlight stimulates them in ways we can't even imagine.

Generally speaking, when an animal is stressed, the appetite wanes or disappears. This would lead me to conclude that he is exploring the new territory and making a mental map of the new place. At the risk of a bit of anthropomorphism, I might even say he is enjoying himself.
I love to hear I'm reading his cues right. I worry so much I didn't trust myself. Today he even took a nap under his ramp.