Outdoor day pen

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
image.jpg Hey all,
We've been working on the outdoor sunshine pen for the Leo Trio and it's getting closer to completion. What else do I need? I intend to let the grass and weeds grow up and am doing to toss some dandelion seeds in it tomorrow.

What can I do/add to make their sunshine time better?
image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd do at least two more bushes. Look for "lavatera" and "blue hibiscus". Both of those do really well in harsh climates. A couple of grape vines along that fence would be great too. In between the pen and the wooden fence. Then I would add a second water source.

Your dandelions probably won't grow until next spring.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'd do at least two more bushes. Look for "lavatera" and "blue hibiscus". Both of those do really well in harsh climates. A couple of grape vines along that fence would be great too. In between the pen and the wooden fence. Then I would add a second water source.

Your dandelions probably won't grow until next spring.
Do you think grape vines will fit with the plant that is there? It's a vine as well. I'm hoping it takes over the fence in the next year or two. I'm not sure how quickly they grow though.

Elohi(Earth)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks great! The grapevines grow fast and spread . But the torts will munch on them .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The plant against the fence is a mandevilla. I checked just now and it's low toxicity but listed as a "do not feed". Craaaaapp

Elohi(Earth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what that other vine is. Is it tort safe? Grape leaves are REALLY good tortoise food, so I'd rather grow lots of that.

It is hard for me to envision a scenario where I have TOO MUCH good tortoise food...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I know they can have hibiscus flowers what what about leaves?

Elohi(Earth)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know if mandevilla is toxic or edible. If its toxic, I'd get rid of it.

Hibiscus leaves are excellent tortoise food, HOWEVER, you either need to grow them from seed yourself, or wait at least one year from the time of purchase and then only feed out the new growth. They are grown with systemic pesticides in all the commercial nurseries and only time will detoxify them.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Getting better then better. It looks great?

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Looks great! I wish I lived somewhere warmer to let my guys out but I woke up to 3 inches of snow two days ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my experience the more time they spend outside at this age, the more they will pyramid. I like daily outside time for sun grazing and exercise, but I keep it to a minimum until they gain some size. Mine don't stay outside all day until they are 5-6", and even then, they still sleep inside in their humid closed chambers.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
In my experience the more time they spend outside at this age, the more they will pyramid. I like daily outside time for sun grazing and exercise, but I keep it to a minimum until they gain some size. Mine don't stay outside all day until they are 5-6", and even then, they still sleep inside in their humid closed chambers.

So far they are only going out about an hr a day, and it's just now getting warm enough to do so daily. The last month has been crazy with cold snaps so I haven't been able to get them outside much.
Up until this point, they have been in their chamber together. Heat and humidity have been good except for the random drop in humidity which I have quickly remedied.
I just am lost as to why he is pyramiding while his clutchmate and my other little Leo aren't.
The only difference is that beans has grown a lot faster than the other two.
So I'm kinda lost. Unless his dark carapace holds heat longer than the other two who have much lighter colors?

Elohi(Earth)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
They look great outside!

I like to keep my outdoor pens HEAVILY planted. The only dirt area is around the perimeter and it's there from pacing along the walls. I also like to lets patches of the weeds grow really tall so they can burrow into the humid area at the base. I think it helps them stay smooth ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397950423.890173.jpg
These two are clutchmates. One is smooth. One isn't.

Elohi(Earth)