Outdoor Hide

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I'm designing my outdoor space for when my Sulcata gets a bit bigger and was wondering.

Should I wait and see where it makes a burrow to build a hide around it? Or should I build the hide and the tortoise will automatically use it?
If I just have the 1 sully, is it better to have a couple of hides?

Thanks much!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm designing my outdoor space for when my Sulcata gets a bit bigger and was wondering.

Should I wait and see where it makes a burrow to build a hide around it? Or should I build the hide and the tortoise will automatically use it?

Thanks much!
Some seem to avoid digging altogether if you provide something like a "Doghouse" for them to feel secure inside

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
Some seem to avoid digging altogether if you provide something like a "Doghouse" for them to feel secure inside
That would be nice! She has a hide in her current enclosure, but is definitely trying to make a burrow. I just assumed that would happen outside as well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Thanks much!
My 100+lb sulcata has a 8'x8' or so heated, insulated shed plus a large pineapple guava shrub. During summer he uses the shrub and during winter and all nights he uses the shed. I would have discouraged a burrow had he ever started one, but he never did.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
My 100+lb sulcata has a 8'x8' or so heated, insulated shed plus a large pineapple guava shrub. During summer he uses the shrub and during winter and all nights he uses the shed. I would have discouraged a burrow had he ever started one, but he never did.
How does one go about discouraging burrows?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He may not automatically use the hide. You may need to train him to use it. Always give them several natural hide areas along with the housing hide.

Sir Sully

Platinum Tortoise Club
Tucson
He may not automatically use the hide. You may need to train him to use it. Always give them several natural hide areas along with the housing hide.
Thank you Jacqui!
Natural hide areas include shrubbery and the likes?