Outdoor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So my two leopards Stella and Ruby are quickly getting too bog for their indoor cement mixing tub enclosure.

Hallbomber said:
So my two leopards Stella and Ruby are quickly getting too bog for their indoor cement mixing tub enclosure.

Sorry wasnt finished. So anyway im looking to confirm what age an size leopards should be before they go outside. Mine are 18 months and 14 months old. Stella being older is over 800 grams and Ruby is over 500 grams. Im thinking about permanently putting them outside, and starting with a giant dog kennel for protection, along with an insulated/heated dog house inside of that for their warm house. Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you?

I would wait until they are a little older personally. I like to have them out all day, but sleep inside at night until they are around 8-10". Just my preference. I also prefer to make the move outside full time in the spring. This gives them plenty of time to acclimate to the great outdoors during the warmer weather.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
we in so cal have it perfect for our leo's!

like tom suggested, make your outdoor enclosure for them to spend the day time in but bring them in at night and on the cool winter days.

my leopard is only 7months old and i put him outside in a 120sqft pen most of the day and bring him inside at night and keep him in all day during cold days. when kept inside he is in a 40gal tank. your cement tubs could be fine for this type of night time/cold day housing.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How big are they in inches?

I'm thinking with my next batch of Jeuviniles I will keep inside longer. Previously I would let them be outside all day and night at around 4 inches, but I have one tortoise (who's turning out to be the bane of my existence) that is starting to pyramid a bit and I'm not sure if it's because I left him on his own too early or if there is something else I need to consider.

At this point, I would say 6 inches is a good threshold. Of the tortoises that I have raised to that size, the ones who have been about that size do not continue to pyramid being kept in the dryer outdoors.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I still bring my adults inside when the temps drop below 60 degrees. I'm thinking of building a heated enclosure outside but I doubt mine are smart enough to come back in to warm up. I built a 6' by 6' enclosure in the garage now, but that is too small for them since they had growth spurts last year.

I don't know your weather there in SoCal, but like Tom said, I think once they reach 6" in size then they can handle being outside. It isn't the heat you need to worry about much, but the cold. Mine love the 95 degree days here, but aren't thrilled with the cold weather.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Greg T said:
I still bring my adults inside when the temps drop below 60 degrees. I'm thinking of building a heated enclosure outside but I doubt mine are smart enough to come back in to warm up. I built a 6' by 6' enclosure in the garage now, but that is too small for them since they had growth spurts last year.

Mine aren't usually. I have to round them up every night and place a huge rock in front of their door so they don't get out in the middle of the night.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Neal said:
Mine aren't usually. I have to round them up every night and place a huge rock in front of their door so they don't get out in the middle of the night.

I guess that is what I should expect also then. :D Thanks for the info (as always!)

Status
Not open for further replies.