Outdoor Russian Enclosure Help

MissyAnnMay

Location (City and/or State)
Woodland Hills, California
Hi!
I have FINALLY (after years of trying new enclosures) found what I think to be perfect for my two Russians.
below is a picture of one enclosure. As soon as hubby builds the second one it will go directly next to the first.
I plan on adding plants, hides, and other things.
I am looking for advice mainly on what I should include in the shelters (plants and such)
and also, how many hours of direct sunlight are needed for the Russians? I have kept a UV light in the old enclosures but I am hoping I do not need to that anymore. I live in Southern California and plan on keeping them outdoors year round.
*The enclosures are 8ft by 4 ft

Thanks so much!
-Missy

IMG_2140.JPG IMG_2141.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Is that a rabbit hutch? I have seen them used online. I like it. Will you be planting tortoise seeds.

MissyAnnMay

Yes it is a rabbit hutch! I found them on Amazon, a tad pricey but the free shipping with Amazon Prime made it much easier on my wallet :)
Forgive my lack of knowledge but, what are tortoise seeds?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you planning on closing off part of the front opening in the hide zone? I see a door in the front, do all the top pieces also hinge?

MissyAnnMay

Hi Jacqui, I have already closed about 3/4 of the hide zone I will update the pictures soon. and yes all of the top pieces hinge it makes for excellent access. Does anyone have any knowledge on the sunlight issue? I want to make sure they are in an ok spot before I finish setting everything up.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Direct sunlight is very hot. They need to be able to get away from it. I would not put this enclosure in direct afternoon sunlight. As for UVB requirements, I don't think much is necessary. Not sure that really answers your question, but I don't know a more direct answer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they get an hour or two of direct sun per week, it will meet their D3 needs. What you need to be concerned with is temperatures. Ideally they would have access to some spots of sunshine all day long. You never want the enclosure completely in or out of the sun.

I can't see if the bottom is closed, but if it isn't you could put that cage in full sun all day and just build a little underground retreat so they can escape the heat of the day in summer.